Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No POST, bad CPU?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jessiah331

jessiah331

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:18 AM

Started thread on another site, but got no straight answers.

Intel i5 660
Intel DP55WB Mobo
Thermaltake CPU Cooler (Using the stock Intel right now for testing purposes)
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1333, PC3 10666, CAS Latency 7, 7-7-7-21, 1.5V
Asus GT440 Video Card
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB
Samsung Disc Drive
OCZ ModXStream 700W PSU

Developments from the last thread are that I RMA'd the RAM, Mobo, and PSU, because I thought it'd have to be one of those.

Still getting the same problem (YES I did breadboard it first). This is NOT my first build. All the connections have been thoroughly checked, all components properly seated.

Problem:
Hooked all up on a bench. When the PSU is switched on the system instantly powers up (fans, drives) but no POST codes (exception below). Removed ALL but CPU and CPU Fan. Disconnected everything from mobo as well. When PSU switched on system powers up, gives three long beeps (RAM/Memory error).

Added one stick of RAM next, didn't get any POST codes. Tried in all 4 RAM slots, still no POST. (also tried with 2 different sticks). Removed RAM, reset CMOS. Still same.

Diagnosis?
I think that the CPU may be bad. Although I shouldn't get a POST code (without RAM) if the CPU is bad, should I? At this point I've tried 2 video cards, 2 motherboards, 4 sticks of RAM, and 2 CPU fans...

Also, somewhere else it was mentioned that it could be an incompatible RAM timing?

Edited by hamluis, 02 September 2011 - 09:32 AM.
Moved from system Building to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:29 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

If your issue is incorrect RAM timing, you should still be able to access the system BIOS.

You mentioned a dead CPU, is tthis CPU new?

Did it work origionally and then stop working or did it fail during your first system bootup?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 jessiah331

jessiah331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:04 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

If your issue is incorrect RAM timing, you should still be able to access the system BIOS.

You mentioned a dead CPU, is tthis CPU new?

Did it work origionally and then stop working or did it fail during your first system bootup?

Bruce.

Thanks for the response. Everything in the build is brand new. The system has been doing this since the first time I hit the power switch on a bench, RMA'd RAM, PSU, and mobo, still same results. (I have a few video cards to test with, and have used on board graphics with same results)

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

I find this to be unusual but not impossible to get a CPU that is defective.

It may have been a returned item and the place you purchased it from did not check to see if it was defective before putting it back in stock.

Since the CPU is the only item that you have not replaced with another known working CPU, we have to assume it is that CPU that is defective.

You mentioned you tried on-board video and tried a GT440 video card, so we know its not the video card.

You have a different motherboard, different RAM and different PSU, the only thing original is the CPU.

If it is under warranty, I would RMA it while it is still covered by a returns policy.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 September 2011 - 01:47 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 jessiah331

jessiah331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

Thanks! I'll be RMAing it and let everyone know.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:49 PM

It's rare to get a defective cpu but i suppose you got the bad one.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 jessiah331

jessiah331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:47 AM

It's rare to get a defective cpu but i suppose you got the bad one.

I've never heard of a bad one shipping out. None of the CPU pins are bent, before or after install (I'm using the right setup LGA 1156 mobo and CPU)

Anyways, so now I've tried a matched, more compatible set of RAM. That solved the 'instantly on' problem at least. At this point everything EXCEPT the CPU has been RMA'd or switched out. The only time I can get a 'beep' code is if there is no RAM in the computer. When I put the RAM in, no beep. And while I know not every system beeps, my personal build is with the same CPU and mobo, and it gives a single, short beep.

So I guess my problem at this point is that my computer won't POST, give a beep code, or splash screen/BIOS, even after swapping everything BUT the CPU...

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:01 AM

Keep us updated when the replacement CPU comes in, if it boots successfully, the CPU was the faulty culprit for sure. :wink:

Bruce.

#9 jessiah331

jessiah331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

Solved. After RMAing every component, I finally checked out and found that I needed a newer BIOS revision from Intel in order for the CPU to work with the Mobo.

Updated BIOS with another processor, stuck the 660 back in, problem solved!

Thanks all that helped.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:56 AM

I am glad to hear that you resolved this issue.

So is it to my understanding that you originally needed a BIOS upgrade from the start?

Bruce.

#11 jessiah331

jessiah331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:58 AM

I am glad to hear that you resolved this issue.

So is it to my understanding that you originally needed a BIOS upgrade from the start?

Bruce.

It seems that way. Though after trading out the PSU and RAM, it did stop the 'instant on' problem, so I'm thinking it was more than just one issue to start.

But yes, a simple BIOS update was all it needed. And after all this time...

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:54 AM

Although I have suggested BIOS updates many times in the past, it just did not occur to me to suggest it this time around.

Sorry about that.

Bruce.

#13 jessiah331

jessiah331
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

Although I have suggested BIOS updates many times in the past, it just did not occur to me to suggest it this time around.

Sorry about that.

Bruce.

Not a problem, I just happened to stumble upon Inel's website. Had a time trying to find out all my model numbers etc, but found it out. Just happened that the 2 motherboards that I have both had older revisions than supported!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users