Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected by "Software Protection" malware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 PODIABLO

PODIABLO

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:54 PM

I have been infected by the "Software Protection" malware.

When I login, I get that popup and I cannot kick off any other program.

I went into "SafeMode with Networking" to run DSS, however the program just gets stuck and does not popup any log files (the dos screen does come up and it does run with the hashes but no log files are produced), which is why I did not post any DSS logs. I also went into "SafeMode" and same thing happened.

I was however able to run GMER and log file is posted.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ark.txt   3.92KB   5 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process. Please also continue to work with me until I give you the all clear. Even if your computer appears to act better, you may still be infected.

Even if you have already provided information about your PC, we need a new log to see what has changed since you originally posted your problem.

Once we start working together, please reply back within 3 days or this thread may be closed so we can help others who are waiting.

We need to create an OTL report,
  • Please download OTL from this link.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:

netsvcs
    msconfig
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
    %systemroot%\system32\Spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.dll
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    %systemroot%\system32\*.sys /90
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\system32\*.exe /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
    %PROGRAMFILES%\*
    %USERPROFILE%\..|smtmp;true;true;true /FP
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Quick Scan button.
  • The scan should take a few minutes.
  • Please copy and paste both logs in your reply.

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit scanner. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

In your reply, please post both OTL logs and the GMER log.

I'm guessing you can't run the OTL log...so just let me know if it fails and we'll go from there.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 PODIABLO

PODIABLO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:56 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process. Please also continue to work with me until I give you the all clear. Even if your computer appears to act better, you may still be infected.

Even if you have already provided information about your PC, we need a new log to see what has changed since you originally posted your problem.

Once we start working together, please reply back within 3 days or this thread may be closed so we can help others who are waiting.

We need to create an OTL report,

• Please download OTL from this link.
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:

netsvcs
    msconfig
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
    %systemroot%\system32\Spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.dll
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    %systemroot%\system32\*.sys /90
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\system32\*.exe /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
    %PROGRAMFILES%\*
    %USERPROFILE%\..|smtmp;true;true;true /FP
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Quick Scan button.
  • The scan should take a few minutes.
  • Please copy and paste both logs in your reply.

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit scanner. Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

In your reply, please post both OTL logs and the GMER log.

I'm guessing you can't run the OTL log...so just let me know if it fails and we'll go from there.

Hi,
do I need to run these steps in regular mode? Can I run these steps in safemode with networking? I cannot kick off anything once I login in regular mode because the malware is preventing that

#4 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

Regular mode is preferred, but safe mode works if you can't.

Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image

#5 PODIABLO

PODIABLO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:40 PM

Regular mode is preferred, but safe mode works if you can't.

Log files are attached.

Attached Files

#6 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:45 AM

Hello, PODIABLO.

I have some bad news...you're infected with the ZAccess rootkit. So, I need to give you this warning:

Backdoor Warning
One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and download and execute files.

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?
When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

We can still clean this machine but I can't guarantee that it will be 100% secure afterwards. Let me know what you decide to do. If you do decide to proceed, please continue with the fix below.

Step 1

You can run this in safe mode if you have to:

Next, please download ComboFix from one of these locations:
* IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop as etavaresCF.exe
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. (Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive.)
  • Double click on etavaresCF.exe & follow the prompts.
  • As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.
  • Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.
**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Posted Image
Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Posted Image

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply, along with any symptoms that are present after it runs.

Note: After running Combofix, you may receive an error about "illegal operation on a registry key that has been marked for deletion." If you receive this error, please reboot and it should disappear.

etavares

Posted Image

#7 PODIABLO

PODIABLO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:45 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the warning.

I tried disabling the AVG anti-virus (version 9) from the link (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html BTW the AVG link does not lead to the FAQ), however only a command like window showed up because I assume i was in safe-mode. I then decided to disable the AVG service from services.msc command and rebooted. I still saw some "avg*" process from the processes window so I killed them manually. THe ComboFix still had issues saying that AVG realtime scan was still running but that combofix would still continue. I then proceeded.

The "Autoscan" dos box says "scanning for infected files" but then it does not continue (at least for 90 min). I will continue to let it run over-night. I looked at the guide at (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix#manual_recovery), but it never got to the "completed_stage_X" phase. Although the clock on my taskbar did stop. I don't know if this is because the AVG is somehow slowing it down.

#8 PODIABLO

PODIABLO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:10 AM

BTW... in my previous post, everything I did was in "safemode w/networking".

#9 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for the info. That's the malware interfering most likely. Try this:

Please download DummyCreator.zip by farbar and unzip it.
  • Run the tool.
  • Copy and paste the following into the edit box:

C:\WINDOWS\2618306392
  • Press Create button and post the content of the Result.txt.

Important: Restart the computer and boot into NORMAL mode.

Next:

We need to scan the system with this special tool:

* Please download and save:

Junction.zip

* Unzip it and place Junction.exe in the Windows directory (C:\Windows).
* Go to Start => Run... => Copy and paste the following command in the Run box and click OK:

cmd /c junction -s c:\ >log.txt&log.txt& del log.txt

A command window opens starting to scan the system. Wait until a log file opens. Copy and paste the log in your next reply.

Edited by etavares, 08 September 2011 - 05:48 PM.

Posted Image

#10 PODIABLO

PODIABLO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:56 PM

I downloaded and ran dummycreator.zip in safemode.

Here is the Result.txt contents:

DummyCreator by Farbar
Ran by Vanguard (administrator) on 08-09-2011 at 18:46:28

C:\WINDOWS\2618306392 [08-09-2011 18:46:28]

== End of log ==

I then rebooted into Normal mode.

I still get the "Security Protection" window when I login and cannot do anything else. Unable to download junction.zip file.

Thanks for the info. That's the malware interfering most likely. Try this:

Please download DummyCreator.zip by farbar and unzip it.

• Run the tool.
  • Copy and paste the following into the edit box:

C:\WINDOWS\2618306392
  • Press Create button and post the content of the Result.txt.

Important: Restart the computer and boot into NORMAL mode.

Next:

We need to scan the system with this special tool:

* Please download and save:

Junction.zip

* Unzip it and place Junction.exe in the Windows directory (C:\Windows).
* Go to Start => Run... => Copy and paste the following command in the Run box and click OK:

cmd /c junction -s c:\ >log.txt&log.txt& del log.txt

A command window opens starting to scan the system. Wait until a log file opens. Copy and paste the log in your next reply.

#11 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:48 AM

Can you download and run Junction in safe mode?

Posted Image

#12 PODIABLO

PODIABLO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

Results of junction.exe from safemode:

Junction v1.06 - Windows junction creator and reparse point viewer
Copyright © 2000-2010 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Failed to open \\?\c:\\pagefile.sys: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Failed to open \\?\c:\\System Volume Information: Access is denied.

..\\?\c:\\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_32\System.EnterpriseServices\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a: JUNCTION
Print Name : C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_System.EnterpriseServices_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_2.0.0.0_x-ww_7d5f3790
Substitute Name: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_System.EnterpriseServices_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_2.0.0.0_x-ww_7d5f3790

Failed to open \\?\c:\\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Desktop.ini: Access is denied.

.\\?\c:\\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\IEExecRemote\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a: JUNCTION
Print Name : C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\MSIL_IEExecRemote_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_2.0.0.0_x-ww_6e57c34e
Substitute Name: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\MSIL_IEExecRemote_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_2.0.0.0_x-ww_6e57c34e

\\?\c:\\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Intuit.Spc.Esd.WinClient.Application.ConfigUXv2\3.0.335.0__540d4816ead86321: JUNCTION
Print Name : C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\MSIL_Intuit.Spc.Esd.WinClient.Application.ConfigUXv2_540d4816ead86321_3.0.335.0_x-ww_29a6be0d
Substitute Name: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\MSIL_Intuit.Spc.Esd.WinClient.Application.ConfigUXv2_540d4816ead86321_3.0.335.0_x-ww_29a6be0d

\\?\c:\\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Intuit.Spc.Esd.WinClient.Application.Update\3.0.335.0__540d4816ead86321: JUNCTION
Print Name : C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\MSIL_Intuit.Spc.Esd.WinClient.Application.Update_540d4816ead86321_3.0.335.0_x-ww_e51d7605
Substitute Name: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\MSIL_Intuit.Spc.Esd.WinClient.Application.Update_540d4816ead86321_3.0.335.0_x-ww_e51d7605

#13 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:26 AM

OK, that looks good. Please try to run Combofix in Safe mode. If that doesn't work, let me know. The rootkit should be disabled so we should be able to remove SEcurity Protection now.

Posted Image

#14 PODIABLO

PODIABLO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:00 AM

I tried rerunning combofix (renamed to etavaresCF) from safemode.

Same issues as last time. A popup warned that AVG realtime scan was running but that it would proceed.

Then the Autoscan dos popup box appeared, says scanning for infected files, but never got to the point of completing stage X. (I have let this run for 45 min, ... I will continue to let it run until I get new instructions).

#15 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

you can kill it at this point. please run GMER as before so we can confirm the rootkit is gone after running the last fix.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users