Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help w/ Laptop or Desktop (Asus, Sager?)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

So this is my first post...but not my first time to the site. Frankly, bleepingcomputer has saved my arse countless times with easy to follow helps for malware and BSODs I've encountered over the years. Hence, why I came here and only here to post and ask for advice from the gurus.

So my Sony Vaio laptop is dying, it's six years old and wasn't too great to begin with but now I have the chance to get something a little better. I'm taking graphic design and I do some gaming so I want something that can tackle both. Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender 3d Modelling not to mention game hogs like Witcher and even Second Life.

My budget is $2200 (but if there is really a standout lappy a lil more pricey, I can bend).
I want something that'll last.

I've looked around on the net and got some feedback on two laptop brands, Asus and Sager. Hopping over to xoticpc (is this a solid place to buy laptops?) I came across a few that caught my eye:

Asus G74SX-3DE
Sager NP7282
Asus G74SX-A2
Sager 8150-S1

Now I've gotten earfuls from both sides of the tracks about laptops and gaming pcs. The convenience of upgrading vs the portability of a laptop + power. As you can see, they are pretty big rigs, I need more of a 'mobile desktop' than a laptop. I have to be able to move the rig around the house if necassary thanks to having a two year old running amok.

However, am I shooting myself in the foot if I get one of these? Should I just suck it up and build a PC from the ground up? I guess what I'm wondering is if the components in these laptops are comparable with a desktop and will give me versatility for a few years or if I should just build a desktop (well not me, someone I know offered to just pick components and slap it together for me basinf it around a Radeon HD 6970 (are these really better than nVidia?)

Any advice would be great, I'm floating in the water here as my Vaio goes into hyperdrive whirr. Right now I'm leanign towards an Asus...but if any of you guys 'n gals have an opinion I'd love to hear back from you.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:05 AM

Since you are going to move around the house then you might get a laptop but the budget you have can be also used to be build a very high end rig.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

Look into malibal.com they are a very high end custom laptop building company who recenttly has the fastest laptop ever built it is definatly a mobile desktop

http://www.malibal.com/nine/ You can upgrade this beast to your hearts content

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

Now they make the nicest custom built laptop :thumbsup:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:46 PM

If mobility isn't important...a laptop has the disadvantages of not being capable of being upgraded...not being capable of being worked on easily when components go wrong...and practically requiring that purchasers (who often have no clue how to repair or correct anything on a laptop or on the O/S) also be prepared to fork out for those extended warranty plans that are necessary for most users.

And your O/S or system issues resolutions will be severely limited with a laptop...most manufacturers embrace the just-restore-to-factory-defaults approach to the problems users may run into.

Forums won't help you much with laptop problems, desktops are a totally different ballgame.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users