Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Operating Systems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vampirelady

vampirelady

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:20 PM

A friend of mine bought a computer (2nd hand) that had windows 2000 but she wanded xp. I thought that if i installed XP it would prompt me somewhere in the installation to remove 2000 or format the hard drive first...it did not and now she has both. She has no personal files on there yet so formatting wouldn't be a problem but when i went to dos and tried to format the hard drive I got the following message:

"format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. All opened handles to this volume would then be invalid. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume?"

I put in yes but then got this message:

"Cannot lock the drive. The volume is still in use"

This is my first post (probably not my last) hope someone can help....thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:39 PM

Go to http://www.killdisk.com and download the free version. Wipe the drive and then run the XP disk. That is the easy way. When you start XP you will not have any thing but a blank partition on the drive. How big is your hard drive?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 vampirelady

vampirelady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:11 AM

I'm not sure how big her hard drive is and she doesn't have internet. Just wanted to make sure that this is someting that I can download to a floppy on my computer and then run on hers. If I can, do I just put in the XP CD and it will install from there? Thanks for your help

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:50 AM

Kill disk is free, and works from a floppy or CD. Read these faq's. They will clear up some of your questions. Here is the link to the free version.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users