Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windos Media Player & plug-ins

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deadeyejack

deadeyejack

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

Just started having problems listening to music I installed with my own CDs. Plays well for some period of time then I receive a msg stating
"a license is required to play this file". Further states "The file you are trying to play was ripped from an audio CD. Duringthe ripping process, the file was "protected." This limits the number of computers on which the file can be played. To play the file on this computer, you must download a license (a process known as "license migration"). A license acts an electronic key that allows you to "unlock" a protected file and play it. To download a license for this file, click Download License." end quote.

When I click on download license a msg appears saying "Error. Your netscape browser does not have Microsoft Windows Media Services" plug-ins installed." end quote.

Where does one get the referenced plug=ins? And why all of a sudden do I need these plug-ins when I have been using Windows Media Player for years? And what is a netscape browser? I use Mozilla Firefox (previously used Internet Explorer).

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 12 September 2011 - 01:38 PM

You have two options. Use IE as your default browser while you are licensing the songs and when done switch back to your current browser.

The other option is to copy the url opens in Netscape and paste it into Internet Explorer and install the license from there.

#3 Nichole Hudson

Nichole Hudson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:26 AM

I think you should recheck the system requirements for the installation of windows media player. If it is not installed properly then the plug-ins might be missing. But since you are using it since a long time, then there might be some problem with the mozilla firefox (if you have updated it recently). I think it would be better for you to cross-check everything from the beginning, by completely reinstalling it. The following site could help you in this. http://streaming.wustl.edu/help/wmp-install.html
Please reply back if the problem persists.
Even in the dark a little star shines, so let each day be your masterpiece of light

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users