Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell has a hold on their customers.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Satman858

Satman858

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

If you buy a new battery for their new laptops and it is not a Dell, you get the following message below"

"Warning: The Battery Could Not Be Identified..... The system will be unable to charge this battery"

Kind of sucks if you ask me because they want $135.00 for a battery that should cost $35.00 from off market brands. :angry:

Edited by Satman858, 02 September 2011 - 12:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

I saw this Uhm... "Hack" (I don't know any other word" on Youtube that lets you continue to use your old battery (At least the case for it) and all you gotta do is by new "cells" (batteries), you could get more powerful ones. I think the users name is Kipkay. It's not ILLEGAL so you could do it. It's just not recommended for someone who hasn't done it SUCCESSFULLY before.

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:39 AM

Interesting. Worth a go as you have little to lose and could save heaps -

http://www.youtube.com/user/kipkay#p/u/99/BtqRvAu71Gw

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Satman858

Satman858
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

It is not necessary to do all of that. I just bought an Genuine Dell battery from off a fleabay seller out of China for $42.50 with free shipping, and it only took 2 weeks to get it. Dell's website wants $134.99 for the same Genuine Dell battery.

I could have bought 3 batteries for what Dell wanted.

Edited by Satman858, 11 October 2011 - 11:48 AM.

#5 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

I wonder if you could disguise the battery SO THE COMPUTER THINKS ITS A DELL??

#6 Satman858

Satman858
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:24 PM

I wonder if you could disguise the battery SO THE COMPUTER THINKS ITS A DELL??

From what I have read for the Vostro 1520 in is not impossible, as Dell has engineered it to not except anything but Genuine Dell batteries. I might add that even with Genuine Dell battery you must update your Vostro 1520 to the updated 08 bios.

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

Sony pulls this same garbage. They want $170 for a battery for my wifes laptop. Third party, you can get one with larger capacity for $40 - but you need to run a third party bios patch for it to work.

The bios patch looks so amateurish, that I wouldn't even consider running it. :o

Imagine GM *requiring* you to replace your Chevy battery with a Delco, or your tires with Continental. Should be illegal.
Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users