Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secondary HDD troubles.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jon5353

Jon5353

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:46 PM

First of all, my specs
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X4 640 21 C
Propus 45nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard
MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 (MS-7309) (CPU1) 30 C
Graphics
HP L2045w (1680x1050@59Hz)
1024MB GeForce 9500 GT (nVidia) 39 C
Hard Drives
488GB Western Digital WDC WD50 00AAKS-00V1A SCSI Disk Device (ATA)
488GB Hitachi HUA72105 0KLA330 SCSI Disk Device (ATA)
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202G ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Second of all I'm having troubles with my Hitachi. Lately, I'll be playing a game (almost ALL of my games that I play are stored onto my secondary.) and it will just freeze. I shut down and boot back up only to take 10 minutes waiting for Windows to boot. Once it boots, I have no secondary HDD; just my primary. So, I go into my BIOS to check on it, and it turns out nothing is detected. So, I open up my computer and switch the SATA cables to test if its the cables themselves, and it turns out it wasn't and it booted up perfectly fine, everything was okay.
That was about a week ago; it has happened about 4-6 times since then, two of them being yesterday night and one just now (which is why I decided to make a post). But, last night when I went to fix it the second time I got "BOOTMGR is missing". By then I was pretty tired and decided not to fix it so I went to sleep. Woke up the next morning and decided to try and fix it yet again. So I unplugged my secondary and booted my computer. It ended up booting fine and I shut my computer down again and plugged it back in. NO WAY, IT WORKS AGAIN. And now, about 15 minutes before this post it did it again. Same error, "BOOTMGR is missing". I don't know if it will get worse, but if it does I have prepared backups.

I'm pretty sure its a strange problem, but the only thing I can think of is bad sectors on my HDD. But then again, it has happened in two different games so I don't know. Overheat protection or something? Also, I've had it for about a year or so.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.
This is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

Please test both hard drives with their manufacturer's diagnostic utilities.

Western Digital
Download the .ISO image file Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD) and burn it to CD in the correct manner.

Hitachi
Download the Drive Fitness Test, CD image from Hitachi's Downloads page and burn it to CD in the correct manner.

If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
    Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
Boot with the CD(s) and run the Quick/Short test and then the Extended/Long test on the appropriate hard drive(s).

Please post the results.

Edited by AustrAlien, 01 September 2011 - 10:10 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users