Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speed Of My Fans Stay The Same All The Time, Nois

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 megalo

megalo

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

On my stock fans it seemed that they would increase their rpms while under load or at least something did. Now I replaced 2 fans and added a new one and now it sounds like all the fans run at a single speed. They don't increase when i start a game or run 3dmark or decrease after its over. On top of that, with the added fan, my pc makes as much noise all the time as it did while it was just under load before. Is this normal? My pc is p4 3.0, x800 pro, 2 gb corsair ram, 3 case fans 2 intake one exhaust. All with stock cooling or added heatsinks for the ram. Could anyone tell me what was increasing before and why its not increasing now? thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:48 PM

There were worn out. The fans should stay constant.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:01 AM

I hate to contridict my fellow mod acklan but there are variable speed fans if the motherboard supports them. Perhaps your new fans are not compatible, in as much as they are not variable in speed. I'm wondering if, after installing the new fans, that you should run your motherboard chipset drivers again? I don't know for sure.

If you are interested in temps and fan speeds I was wondering if you had tried SpeedFan. There is some good information about motherboard chips and fan speeds under "What is SpeedFan" on the site.

SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors fan speeds, temperatures and voltages in computers with hardware monitoring chips. SpeedFan is an hardware monitoring software, but its main feature is that it can control the speed of the fans (depending on your sensor chip) according to the temperatures inside your pc, thus reducing noise and power consumption.

The info you get from this program will depend on the sensors on your motherboard.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:32 AM

That is quite alright. I have only used the constant speed fans. I have learn today also.

#5 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:56 PM

I should also note that the all 5 fans, including the ones i took out, use molex power connections. The old fans are from Super Flower and they can with my case. The new fans are from Aspire. Also, I have one fan that is connected directly to my motherboard, all the others have been connected to my psu. The one thats connected to my mobo is the rear exhaust fan. Can I adjust all of my fans even if they aren't connected to the motherboard?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:27 PM

I've got all sorts of adjustments listed as being possible for the fans in my case. Didn't figger I needed them, so I've never used them.

Some motherboards will have the software that allows you to adjust the fan speed using a program such as Motherboard Monitor or SpeedFan.

If they're only connected to a Molex - then you'll need something like a FanBus to adjust them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:22 PM

Isnt there a option in the BIOS to change the RPM of the fans? If not, there are applications out there that can control the speed of them. Hence less noise.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:41 PM

I've got all sorts of adjustments listed as being possible for the fans in my case. Didn't figger I needed them, so I've never used them.

Some motherboards will have the software that allows you to adjust the fan speed using a program such as Motherboard Monitor or SpeedFan.

If they're only connected to a Molex - then you'll need something like a FanBus to adjust them.

I think that is what John was pointing out.

#9 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:49 PM

Well, after I carefully listened to my computer while running 3dmark05 or the "scan for artifacts" option on atitool, I've come to the conclusion that the increase in noise still happens and that must mean that it is either the graphics card or my stock cpu fan from intel. I'm thinking its the graphics card. And the large increase in noise I noted before must be from the extra fan I installed. Thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users