Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive missing files!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PaulaMc

PaulaMc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

Hi! I am new to this site and am having a problem. My computer (Gateway NV52 with Vista) kept showing an error message stating that the new software I installed (no new software was installed) was not installed correctly. The computer would continually reboot itself. I plugged in my external hard drive (Morespace 640G)to back up all of my pictures, videos, documents and music files. My father in law decided that I had a virus and did a system restore of that computer back to factory settings. I plugged the external hard drive into another computer and most of my files are now gone!!!! Some folders are still there (for example, 2007 photos folder is there but there is nothing in it). Other folders (like a folder called Videos) is completely gone. I am being told that they may still exist and I may be able to recover them. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you so much in advance!!!! PS - I did have McAfee virus protection downloaded from AOL on that computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

When you save those folders to the external hard drive did you save the actual folder or is it possible you saved a shortcut the the folder?

What operating system is on the computer that you are trying to transfer the files to?

The videos you have what format were that in? .MOV, .VOB, .MPEG, .MP4?

Were any of these files created by a program to which you have to have that program installed to view those images or videos?

I am asking this because some commercial related software expects you to use only their software when viewing the content created by it.

This is common with adult related web sites where videos or images are downloaded they only play or display with their software, this is also possible with general audience media as well.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 PaulaMc

PaulaMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

Thank you for replying! Believe it or not I was just coming on here to delete my post because I somehow managed to figure it out myself!!!! I decided to be brave and plugged the external hard drive into my other laptop and ran the McAfee virus software on it....no problems. I did notice when it was running the scan though that it was running through the files that were missing! So I knew they had to be there somewhere! I again tried to open the files and when I opened "properties" I noticed that it did say there were folders and files in it! I started clicking around and found a place where "show hidden files and folders" was not selected. I selected it and voila!!!! The files are back!!!!!! I literally cried for hours the other night thinking the files were gone. So thank you so much for your time in responding to my question! PS - Oreo is adorable!!!!

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for replying back and letting us know your problem has been resolved.

I was thinking of having you check those properties of those folders, but when you mentioned videos, it made me think perhaps you were talking about netflix related videos that you downloaded.

Thanks for the complement on Oreo, she's a very timid cat, comes to me when she's damned good and ready to.
She's great at catching flies and moths that end up getting into the house.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 September 2011 - 02:08 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users