Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connectivity issue sporadic

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:25 PM

I have a domain setup with 10 computers. 1 computer (XPPro) has started randomly losing connection with the Domain Controller (2k3). Connection goes down for about 15 minutes and then comes back.

During this last outtage I managed to verify that the DC's ip address resolves correctly to 192.168.0.200 when I ping it, but the ping fails. Pinging the work station from the server also fails. Pinging the ipaddress of the DC directly on the workstation fails. Pinging other workstations and the router on the network succeeds 100% of the time. So its only the connection between this one work station and the server which fails in both directions simultaneously.

I see errors in the event viewer basically showing the workstation is losing connection but not why. Things like gpupdate failed or netlogon failed etc.

I've scanned for viruses with MalwareBytes. Nothing. I've set my ip address manually and disabled netbios resolution. I've added the DC name and ipaddress to my hosts file. Any ideas on how I could be losing connection for 15 minute chunks only to my DC from 1 computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:30 PM

nevermind. sometimes you just gotta write it down and then 5 seconds later it comes to you, lol.

In this case it was the AVG security suite firewall (which I didn't know what installed) randomly denying the connection to the server. Disabled the firewall in AVG and everything seems good so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users