Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutdown Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KISNA

KISNA

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:05 PM

I have 98SE. My desktop hangs at shutdown. All I see is blue screen of death and nothing happens. I have done windows update from micrsoft's update site, defragged, error checked and fixed, did the shut down patch and nothing. problem still exists. is reinstalling 98 my only option here ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

Hey long time.
What are your computer specs? RAM, HD used/free, Virtual Memory? What programs are running at " msconfig"?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:41 PM

Sorry, and when was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Heat can be a big problem.

#4 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:36 PM

Hey long time.
What are your computer specs? RAM, HD used/free, Virtual Memory? What programs are running at " msconfig"?

Yup it's been a while. But that means my PC has been running well. huh ?

Thanks for coming to my rescue yet again :thumbsup:

I have 384 MB RAM, Virtual memory 32-bit (windows managing virtual memory)
capacity 19GB
used space 14.9GB, free space 4.08GB.

Anything else ?

Programs running in msconfig:

Epson Stylus PhotoR200
Scan registry
TaskMonitor
LoadPowerProfile
freesurfer
System Tray
Epson Stylus PhotoR200 (why do I have this twice ?)
PRISMSVR.EXE (what is that ?)
Omnipage(opware32.exe)
StillmageMonitor(STIMON.EXE)
Zone labs Client
AVG7_CC
AVG7_EMC
AVG7_AMSVR
Spysweeper
LoadPowerProfile(This one is also listed twice)
TrueVector(VSMON.EXE)

Yes I cleaned the inside recently when I added 256MB of RAM module.

Edited by KISNA, 19 January 2006 - 11:38 PM.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:58 PM

What is? PRISMSVR.EXE http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...brary/PRISMSVR/

The following I would "kill' by unchecking them in 'msconfig".

Epson Stylus PhotoR200 KILL (uncheck)
Scan registry KILL (uncheck)
TaskMonitor KILL (uncheck)
LoadPowerProfile KILL (uncheck)
freesurfer
System Tray
Epson Stylus PhotoR200 (why do I have this twice ?) KILL (uncheck)
PRISMSVR.EXE (what is that ?) Wireless NIC
Omnipage(opware32.exe)
StillmageMonitor(STIMON.EXE)
Zone labs Client
AVG7_CC
AVG7_EMC
AVG7_AMSVR
Spysweeper
LoadPowerProfile(This one is also listed twice) KILL (uncheck)
TrueVector(VSMON.EXE)

Epson will reinsert it self (hopefully only once). Some will not agree with what I recommend to stop but from my experince, I do not see the benefit.
IMHO Epson has poorly written software and it may be your problem. I love Epson printer but I have had issues with they software package.
Before you proceed I would wait for a couple of other members. Just for second opinions.
By the way what was the last hardware/software you installed

Good luck.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:02 AM

Hi KISNA and acklan.

I'll weigh in here as acklan asked you to wait for a second opinion and we can't have you waiting too long. :thumbsup:

I agree with disabling the the Epson software and I would also stop Omnipage. Our Startup Database has this to say about that:

Part of OmniPage Pro from Scansoft (was Caere) - "the fastest, easiest way to turn paper documents into digital files you can edit." Opware32.exe links Word, via OLE, with OmniPage. If running, a user can call up OmniPage from inside of Word and ask it to scan something, via "File, Acquire Page." Also some of OmniPage's Options dialog boxes are accessible from within Word. Only required by novices and is Available via Start -> Programs

Scan registry, TaskMonitor and LoadPowerProfile are needed tasks in 98. The second instance of LoadPowerProfile is a bug in 98 and can be disabled. ScanReg is your registry backup/error checking program and should always be left on.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:32 PM

Hey guys thanks a lot. Hi Leurgy. :thumbsup:

So I would kill both instances of Epson, Omnipage and last instance of LoadPowerProfile. Is that correct ?

And acklan last software(s) I installed: a free 90 day trial of spysweeper and annonymizer before that. I think my problem might have started since that annonymizer install but I am not sure.

Edited by KISNA, 20 January 2006 - 01:39 PM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:01 PM

Sounds good. Post back in while and let us know how it goes.

Good luck.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:01 PM

Sounds good. Post back in while and let us know how it goes.

Good luck.

#10 Super Corsair

Super Corsair

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2006 - 03:03 PM

KISNA Wrote
Yes I cleaned the inside recently when I added 256MB of RAM module. I have 384 MB RAM.

This could be the problem. Are you using 128mb and 256mb sticks of ram to = the 384mbs?
If so take out the 128mb stick. Its not advise to use different brands or size ram sticks together.
You compute will recognize the two sticks but will only use the 128mb stick. I tried the two different size stick of ram on my compute last night and started having memory problems.

#11 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:39 PM

KISNA Wrote
Yes I cleaned the inside recently when I added 256MB of RAM module. I have 384 MB RAM.

This could be the problem. Are you using 128mb and 256mb sticks of ram to = the 384mbs?
If so take out the 128mb stick. Its not advise to use different brands or size ram sticks together.
You compute will recognize the two sticks but will only use the 128mb stick. I tried the two different size stick of ram on my compute last night and started having memory problems.

Actually I did that a couple of months ago and it was working fine for a while (granted I didn't notice any performance boost, hence wasted money as far as I am concerned) but the shutdown problems started only recently.

You know what I noticed ? I found a trick, on another message board, how to place a shut down shortcut on desktop, so I don't have to go start --> shutdown --> OK. Now I think the shutdown problem only happens when I use that shortcut not when I do shutdown traditionally. So I am gonna get rid of the shutdown shortcut.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users