Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not start on Sony Vaio

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TANDR

TANDR

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:08 PM

I was given this computer which is a small unit running "vista" from my father in law,
this unit was being used by my son for some time and I had not noticed it around for some time, (Many months).
Found it in his room, while he was away at school, and when I powered it up this is the message I recieve.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".
3. Click "Repair your computer".

If you do not have the disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\config\system
Info: Windows failed to load becasue the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

Conclusion - I do not have any installation disks, can I get some advise and help on a fix so I can get my computer to boot to windows from the group on this forum?

Thanks,
Tim

Edited by TANDR, 31 August 2011 - 07:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

Microsoft Answers.

Louis

#3 TANDR

TANDR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

LOUIS,

Reading the link you provided did not solve my issue, I can not use any of the commands on the F8

What else?

Is there away to set back to the factory reset, At this stage I am not concerned about the lost data, as most if not all the pictures and documents had already been copied to my desk top unit.
I do not want to loose any of the programs however.
Tim

#4 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

You must have a DVD.

Try System Restore
Vista allows you to run System Restore without running Windows.

Boot from DVD-ROM with Vista DVD in it. Click on Repair your computer and from System Recovery options, choose System Restore.

#5 TANDR

TANDR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

I do not have a DVD (vista).
The unit is VGN-UX380N from Sony it is a hand held unit there is no DVD drive.

Can you let me know how to obtain the proper DVD and once I have it how do you boot my system with it without a drive?

Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users