Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Printer Selection

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Poll: New Printer Selection (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Printer Should I Buy?

1. HP 8500a Plus $200 - $50 rewards online (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. HP 8500a Premium - $250 online (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Brother MFC-j6710 $200+ tax local (0 votes [0.00%])

4. None Get a Color Laser $500+ (1 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 speckulator

speckulator

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

Printer Selection
Hi Guys,
I am wondering if any of you guys can give me some help on printer selection.
The following is a list of my needs:
Print,
Copy, including legal reduced to letter preferably automatic so I can fax it after
Stand alone FAX
Scan, Legal Length
Wireless
Automatic Sheet Feeder
Auto 2 sided printing

List of Wants:
Auto 2 sided copy
Print from iphone
Print from email
Legal length glass for flatbed scanning

I from an internet search I was thinking the printers that might fit the bill are:

HP 8500a Plus $250 -$50 trade in and get $50 rewards bonus so more or less $150 + 20 tax from major retailer website

or 8500a Premium $250 from buydig.com no tax or shipping. The only differences I see from the plus is the second paper tray, which is nice to have not a must have, and an extra set of ink cartridges. Does anyone know if I can leave envelopes in one tray and paper in the other? Does anyone know if these are full cartridges or just starters with a little ink in them and not worth much? I am thinking if it is full cartridges and I get the extra paper tray it is worth the $100.

Lexmark Platinum Pro-905 about $259 total online $275 local

Brother MFC-J6710dw Huge 11x17 glass and printing takes up a lot of real estate. Donít know a whole lot about it other than $200+tax local.

I stopped at 2 office stores today to look at them. One guy says buy the HP hands down it is not even close. He recommends the plus because at his store the premium is $499+tax. I didnít have the heart to tell him I would buy the premium for half price on line if I chose the premium.

The second store told me the Lexmark was a pile of junk, he likes the HP printer but says it is going to eat me out of house and home on ink. He only sold one Brother in a year so he really doesnít know how good it is. He would recommend the Brother MFC-9320cw color laser because it will be much cheaper in cost per page in toner vs ink. That printer is $449+tax local $400+ online. I donít know how all this squares up with the inkjet companies saying their per page cost is half that of a laser printer. I donít see the laser being worth it but maybe I am missing something.

Any thoughts on these printers are greatly appreciated. When I read the online reviews people seem to love to bash quality of all of the printer companies. HP some people love them some hate them, but all of them are outspoken. The HPís are very slick looking printers and being able to email to the printer seems like a nice feature.

Lastly, is anyone familiar with the gadgets that come with the cartridges that have a little tube on them that goes back to a large ink reservoir that for me would likely be a lifetime supply of ink? I donít even remember the name of them but stumbled on a link recently and they were like $150 for the setup. If they work well I am thinking just order one when I buy the printer to maximize the savings over the life of the printer.

Sorry to be so long winded. It seems every time I buy a computer or something like this there is more and more things to consider. Please feel free to comment on any and all besides voting. Thanks in advance guys.

Speck

PS We mainly do home office, small office type stuff. For pics we just send them out for printing. It's just easier for us that way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users