Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

network printer traffic

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zpupster

zpupster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:43 AM

hello, support,

i own a hp photosmart premium c309g-m printer. updated

i am using comodo firewall, 5.5 updated

my computer is showing that it is sending about 100b to my printer about every second .

becasue in comodo it shows 400+ UDP connections.

the traffic report says that my computer is using ports 1600 to 4000 - one at a time and going to my printer's port using 161.

is there any way i can slow this constant use of sending bytes by UDP?

craig

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

What software do you have installed to run the HP Photosmart printer? Is it the basic drivers or the full feature software? Did you install it from the CD that came with the printer or from the Internet?

My guess would be the HP software is constantly checking the status of the printer or something similar, although I couldn't find any reference documents to UDP ports on their website.
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:57 PM

I assume you are connected through the wifi or bluetooth connection? You can eliminate all network traffic to it by plugging in with USB. Otherwise stick the printer next to your router/switch and plug in with ethernet. WIFI and Bluetooth require much more overhead than ethernet does, just to maintain that connection. I would at least wire it with ethernet personally. I'm sure that's not what you were looking for, but you can't untangle spaghetti. Ethernet is win. WIFI is headache and overhead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users