Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not switching on.

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Josef1994

Josef1994

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

Okay, so I have a computer, it's a little bit old, but it was in a good condition. Last time I used it was around 6 months ago, and it was working fine. I turned it on this morning, but didn't boot up. At first, I though it was the power supply, but I replaced and it only been working for three months.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:07 AM

Define "it didn't boot up". EXACTLY what happens when you turn it on?

#3 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

Well the greeen light turns on, but nothing comes on the screen. Just 'no signal'.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

Do you hear the fans spinning? WHAT green light comes on - is it a power light or the hd light or the light on the display?

And are you saying it worked after you replaced the power supply and now it's not working again? Please - don't make me pull teeth. Tell us the entire story in one post. Thank you.

Edited by Allan, 31 August 2011 - 09:35 AM.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

It would also be real handy to know if this is a laptop or a tower. I assume a tower as you said you replaced the power supply but you never know for sure unless you ask.

Make/model of the system would also be useful.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:56 AM

Ok...sorry! :) And yes it's a tower ;)

When I press the power button, the green power light starts blinking normally and then I hear the first beep, then after 3 seconds I hear three consecutive beeps. The system is 8 years old, it's not powerful, it's just for small stuff. It's intel and is a pentium 4 OS. Not sure what might have caused the problem, because the power supply fan is working properly.

Edited by Josef1994, 02 September 2011 - 09:59 AM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:17 PM

Please post the make and model number so we can diagnose your BIOS beep codes correctly.

When a computer system is functioning correctly, there should only be ONE post BEEP, the three additional beeps are a system beep code indicating a system error.

Thanks in advance for your computer's make and model number.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

The problem is that there isn't any information on the make/model of the computer. Should I open the case? I assume the model is Intel though.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:36 PM

Yes it should be, but hang in there a moment, I am on another computer, because I am converting .3gp videos to .mov on my main computer and I have my saved files that I want to post here on that computer, I'll post what I need you to do shortly after this last video is done, which should be about 4 minutes.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

Thanks buddy, no need to hurry :)

Thanks in advance for your kind help! :)

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

Not a problem, that is what we are here for, Okay I am back on my main computer, I have 5 working computers here, sometimes it's fun multitasking all 5 of them. :crazy:

I am aware you can not boot up this system to run a program that will help us determine your computers make and model number, so there is another way to get this information for us.

It involves you opening your computer's side panel, get a flash light or any light that will allow you to focus the light directly into the computer case so you can clearly see the motherboard.

If you have to push any wires out of the way, or need to touch anything inside your computer case, please keep one hand on a metal part of the computer case while doing this, this helps prevent you from zapping the sensitive components on the motherboard with static electricity.

Please closely observe the motherboard in the general area of your RAM slots and expansion card slots for a model number, it should be in white letters, you may also see a name such as ASUS or DELL somewhere on the board, if no name is there, don't worry about it, just post what letters and numbers you see on the motherboard and I should be able to work with that.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

#12 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

Okay, I believe this is crazy. But there is no make/or model on the motherboard!

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

How old is this computer?

Is there any wording on the computer case?

Check the front benzel and the back panel for any signs of a name or model number.

A picture is worth a thousand words, if you can get a hold of a camera or a cell phone and take pictures of the computer tower and the motherboard put them up on the web where we can see them, that might help us identify this computer and motherboard.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 September 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#14 Josef1994

Josef1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:24 AM

Still couldn't find anything. It's about 8-9 years now since, I bought it.

Here's some pictures...Not sure why I can't upload more than one picture?

Attached Files

Edited by Josef1994, 03 September 2011 - 07:31 AM.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

I am not sure if your image size exceeds the limit.

I could not identify your computer with that image.

See if you can upload and attach a picture of the motherboard.

If you can not upload it to Bleeping Computer, try using imageshack.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users