Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

probs installing xp pro

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

This is driving me batty :wacko: My computer had some hard drive issues and some bios issues but they seem to be resolved now. I can set up media center edition but not xp pro. I have a dell dimension 9200. Obviously nothing is wrong with the hardware but I cant understand why xp pro wont setup.

Most like mce has everything I need and the machine is not asking for a license#. Can I update to xp pro? Is there anything special I need to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:44 AM

MCE is XP Pro. Just with added functionality. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Media_Center_Edition

You don't state why it won't install. Copy file errors? Other errors?

Type of disk? Homemade or MS hologram disk...

Posted Image

It's not asking for a license # because it has a winnt.sif with the serial already input.

Edited by .X., 31 August 2011 - 07:46 AM.

#3 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:07 AM

. Error message: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drive or hard drive controller. Check your hard drive for errors. Run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption. Stop: 0x00007b (0xf780d2524, 0xc0000034, 0x0000000, 0x0000000)
However Media Center installed fine, no errors. I ran a virus check, chkdsk.

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

You didn't answer my question about the type of disk.

An 07b error means you need drivers for your SATA controller. Here are the ones for your model.

If you have a floppy drive, simply copy the extracted drivers to a floppy and press F6 when setup first begins (you will see a prompt on lower right hand side). Insert your floppy when it asks for it. Choose the controller and off you go.

If you don't have a floppy you need to create a XP CD with the drivers integrated. You use nLite for this... http://www.nliteos.com/ Here is a guide but it may not offer enough information for you. There are other guides on the net for integrating the drivers but I don't have the URLs. Do a Google search for them.

Let me know if you get stuck and I will help you. Make sure to integrate the drivers as text mode, not PNP. Image #11 here.

If you feel comfortable, you should also integrate all the other drivers so you have a custom disk designed for that machine. The drivers are available here . You should also slipstream SP3 if your disk is not up to that service pack level and the updates released since then so that your XP is patched right out of the box. The updates can be downloaded by downloading and running my UDC script available @ http://xdot.tk/updates.html

Again, it may be a bit to much for you to add drivers, SP and updates. I am only offering it as a suggestion. I can help you if you get stuck.

Edited by .X., 31 August 2011 - 09:50 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:42 AM

<<Can I update to xp pro? Is there anything special I need to do?>>

If you mean "upgrade" to XP Pro...sure you can, if you have a valid XP Pro license and install disc. The problems there would be the different licenses (XP MCE is tied to the system and is an OEM license...and you would probably have to do a clean install from what I see).

See section for MCE at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292607 .

"Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Note Windows Setup gives an error message that the Product Key is not valid (invalid) if you attempt an upgrade or repair the installation with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition or with Microsoft Windows XP Professional."

Louis

#6 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

I spoke to the owner of the computer. I told him of the difference between xp pro and mce, he is fine with this. I will try to update the computer to xp pro after the installation is complete and the drivers are in.

Thank you for the information. I'll research the answer you gave me and work on it.

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

That wont work. You cant upgrade XP to XP. The new XP will not see the old drivers.

#8 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

ok
I'll leave it at mce. Seems okay.

#9 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:02 PM

The license is for Windows XP. If the os is Window Media Center which seems like xp pro. I want to make sure that I am not breaking licensing regulations.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:07 PM

No such thing as a license for "Windows XP" that applies to all versions.

There is a license for XP MCE...another license for XP Home...another license for XP Pro...another license for 64-bit XP Pro...and one for 64-bit XP. Each license is specific to that operating system...and cannot be used with regard to a different O/S for install purposes...other than to justify use of an "upgrade version" of a more recent O/S.

The bottom line...you are getting the error message that you should get...when trying to "upgrade" an MCE system that does not qualify for an upgrade, as I see it.

FWIW: The fact that XP MCE is very similar to XP Pro does not mean that the licenses for those two O/Ses...are interchangeable. Some MCE users have previously reported the ability to use XP Pro discs to repair MCE installs...but I've never seen anyone claim that one can replace the other. Most importantly...Microsoft says that such cannot legally be done.

Louis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_editions

Edited by hamluis, 31 August 2011 - 02:08 PM.

#11 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

The computer never asked for any sort of keycode, if it did I would have put in a license# for media center. It seemed to have MCE loaded in there originally.

#12 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

I did call Microsoft and told them the whole story. The computer was licensed for Windows XP Professional, however it took Windows Media Center without asking for a key code. They told me that something must have been changed in the computer for it to accept a different operating system. They basically told me that since this is an unique problem, that I shouldn't worry about it. It was not like I was trying to get away with something. When I asked for it in writing, they said they couldn't do that. I am very adamant about people obeying licensing rules. I even had a license code for a windows xp media center ready to type in.

My hunch is that this computer has a MBR viruses which changed the existing partitions.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:10 PM

If you suspect a malware issue...this is the wrong forum for addressing such. I suggest you initiate a new post, giving all pertinent particulars as to why you might suspect such.

Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

You can include a link to this topic...as part of your new topic in AII.

Louis

#14 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

I'd prefer to close this post out. Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users