Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista System Restoration

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fjoseph

fjoseph

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:01 AM

Hello,

I followed the post and instructions here - yet unable to do "complete pc restoration" from a "complete pc back up" I have on an external drive. I restarted the PC, hit "F8" and chose to "Repair". I selected "complete pc restore" identified the back up drive and file, and then the problems starts. I get a window with message "To restore your computer, windows needs to format the disk that windows recovery enviornment is currently running on. Boot your computer from a windows installation disk or recovery disks".

I have Tosh Proege M-800 and it never came with an installtion disk to the best of my knowledge. However, I have "recovery dvd disks (labelled recovery disk 1 and 2) that I made, when I first purchased the laptop. This was made as instructed during the very first setup process. Well I tried to putting the "recovery disk 1" and booted from that disk - and the window I get warns me of "erasing my entire hard disk and reinstalling "windows vista".

I do NOT get the option at any point to "select and restore" from the back up I have made.

Where am I going wrong ? what am I missing ? Why cant this be simple straight forward affair ?

Can you please help ?

Appreciate your replies.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,571 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

<<I followed the post and instructions here...>>

I don't know what instructions you followed or what post you refer to.

OEM-supplied "recovery/restore disks" take the system back to the point it reflected when when the system was purchased.

It sounds like that is what you are presented with.

The manual for the system seems to be available for download Here in Spanish, so I hope that you are a Spanish-speaker or have the manual which should have come with your system. Any instructions for using the recovery/restore function provided by Toshiba...should be in the documentstion.

Louis

If you are thinking of the Windows System Restore function...that's a different matter. See http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-vista-system-restore-guide/ .

Edited by hamluis, 31 August 2011 - 11:43 AM.

#3 fjoseph

fjoseph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:41 AM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for your reply - maybe my post was not clear enough - sorry!.

I have a "complete PC Backup" taken through windows "system backup and restore" on Vista Business. (taken before a crash). I want to restore this on to the same machine (which has been restored by Toshiba Service guys to its original new condition) that obviously does not have many of the previous data.

So I am trying to "restore" a previous backup taken. Unable to do that on a/c of WinRE situation that I explained in the original post. The recovery disk is something I made - the machine was "never" supplied with any disk. As you say the "recovery" disk is taking me to the original "brand new" condition - which is not what I want.

I want to get my laptop as it was before the crash - since I do not have any "original Vista CD" unable to restore the backup even though I tried to go through F8 at boot up and tried "Repair computer" option. It said something like windows has to reformat the winRE enviornment I am currently running windows on.....

Any workaround ?

Let me know please.

Thanks

#4 fjoseph

fjoseph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:36 AM

Hello - yet another hurdle - managed to get Vista Installtion Disc - but while attempting complete pc restore from the backup I had made, windows does not "see" the backup I want to restore(windows image backup file) - instead it identifies another backup file with another date of creation, which is not even present on my external hard disc. !! Why is this happening ? Why is it not identifying the file/backup I had made whih is clearly there on the hard disc ?

Help !!

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users