Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA HDD - Cannot get drivers to load

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wolfdog545

wolfdog545

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Hey everyone - I am in need of some help, details below.

I am building a workstation atm for my grandmother -

Spec's -

Mobo - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 AMD 990FX AM3+
PCU - AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3Ghz
HDD - WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-6G

The problem Im having is with the HDD - I only have the one 500GB at the moment, so I wanna set it up as SATA, not RAID.

The HDD came with drivers loaded on a disk. When I try to install Windows 7, It asks me to find the HDD, so I click load Drivers, then get the ones necessary (SATA 64bit) from the DRVBOOT folder on the disk (that the MOBO came with)

It recognizes the .inf file (compatible with my system) and attempts to load it. It fails and does not load successfully, otherwise I should see my HDD there correct?

My BIOS Settings (in the Integrated Peripherals) I have everything set so it should be running SATA. (Not IDE)

Important to note - I do not have a floppy drive.

Thanks in advance!

Please feel free to ask for more information, Im a bit frustrated with this - I also have downloaded the latest drivers from Gigabyte (they are .exe 's ) but the WIN7 setup does not recognize them and cant find them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:05 AM

There is no need to load SATA drivers...with that motherboard. It has an onboard SATA controller and the BIOS settings should reflect various options, including SATA/RAID settings.

Windows 7 is not like Windows XP when it comes to SATA support. XP debuted at a time before SATA drives came into vogue...therefore there were some systems running XP that did not have native support for hardware developed later...this is not the case with hardware that is more current than the early 2000s.

If you are having trouble with the Win 7 install finding the hard drive...it's probably due to your BIOS settings regarding SATA/RAID. Since such settings vary somewhat from board to board...you need to take a close look at the your motherboard manual and ensure that the BIOS settings do not reflect RAID and allow for proper detection of the hard drive.

There are also reported instances where the AHCI settings for SATA drives may result in the situation you describe.

Your manual can be downloaded or read at http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3880#manual . Chapter 2 reflects BIOS screen data, I suggest starting with page 42 and allow for auto-detection of SATA drives.

Louis

#3 wolfdog545

wolfdog545
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

Ok, whether or not my mobo has built in support, I cannot seem to get it find this HDD in the bios - I have everything set up in the integrated peripherals to IDE settings (and NATIVE IDE for the type I believe)

Still the HDD remains missing from the BIOS. I have tried setting the BIOS to refect AHCI before as I mentioned, but that did not work. With IDE settings, Im still having the same problems

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

If the drive is not detected in the BIOS then of course Windows wont be able to detect it either during installation.
Make sure that the SATA contollers are enabled in the BIOS and that the drive is connected correctly. Its SATA and literally only goes one way, but maybe a connection is loose.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hello hopefully this will help, I just did an windows XP install on my Dell XPS400 not that long ago, this is how I got it to find my SATA hard drive.

I went into my BIOS setup utility, and I scrolled down to my DRIVES section of my BIOS and expanded it, I looked for SATA OPERATION and scrolled down to it, once it was high-lighted, I selected the following option: RAID AUTODETECT / ATA This selection allows your system to recognize your SATA hard drive without loading any drivers during the XP installation disk loading.

Your system may have RAID AUTODETECT / AHCI selected, if it is, your SATA hard drive will not be detected, nor recognized by Windows XP.

I know your system is not a Dell, but the BIOS menus can often be the same for other computer brand names, since this is BIOS related.

Hope this clears up the misunderstanding.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 31 August 2011 - 08:06 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 wolfdog545

wolfdog545
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:32 AM

Wow my bad guys... Just went back over the hardware again, I didnt have power connected to the HDD >< Thanks!

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

:thumbup2: For Eyesee.

Glad you got things up and running.

Happy computing!

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users