Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bridge Connections

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

Hello

I have two computers. The host is Windows Vista, and the client is WIndows XP. The host computer has the wireless adapater and an ethernet card, while the client only has an ethernet card. What I'm trying to do it bridge the connections so that I may connect to the host computer with an ethernet cord and use the host's wireless internet from the client computer.

I have tried everything and it is not working. Please give me help. :)

Thanks!!

Edited by StickDude101, 30 August 2011 - 09:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 StickDude101

StickDude101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:59 PM

So far I have the host pc connected to my wireless network. I then bridged the wireless connection with the ethernet connection. I then plugged in the ethernet cord to both computers but the client pc still won't connect to the internet.

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

Did you try to configure any settings on the client machine. You may need to set up a bridged connection on the client. I'm not entirely sure as I have never actually done it.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 StickDude101

StickDude101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

There is nothing to bridge on the client machine. The only thing up there is my ethernet. I tried replacing the ethernet card, the ethernet cable, and it still keeps saying " a network cable is unplugged". But whenever I first plug it in, it starts to try and connect and then fails and gives the error.

#5 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:51 PM

Man its been a long time since I networked without a switch, but you should be able to physically connect the two computers ethernet ports using a 'crossover cable' which is an ethernet cable with slightly different wiring.

Once you are physically connected then you have to setup your 'host' machine to act as a router using Windows Internet Connection Sharing. To set that up, read the directions here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing-Connection-Sharing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users