Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shutdown Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SteveG05

SteveG05

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:50 PM

Well i am back again i thought my computer was fixed but it really wasn't. My mom blew a breaker in the house which reset all of my BIOS setting and now i am having problems again. I sent it inot asus to fix it but all they said was the BIOS was messed up. I don't remember any of the settings that my friend changed to get it to work. I don't like chaning the settings like he did because one of the main changes was core volts. This makes my CPU run even hotter and i don't like that.

Heres what happens. My computer will boot up just fine. It will load windows just fine and i can log in. as soon as i try to play a game it shutsdown. It does not lock up but is just shutsdown as if some one had pulled the power cable out from the back. Like i said i have had the MOBO sent into the shop. The Power Supply has also been into the shop. And i also had the Graphics card into the shop is was making noise. I have taken the RAM from my computer and put it into another friends computer. The RAM works fine and it is compatable with my MOBO. I know it is only value RAM but my friend runs value RAM in his but his is CORSAIR and his works just fine. I had the same problem with a IDE HD so i am pritty sure that it is not the HDs.

what i have is
1x AMD XP Barton 3200+
1x ASUS A7V880
2x KVR400X64C3A
2x Wester Digital WD250JD
1x NEC CD/DVD burner
1X Sony Floppy Drive

I have been doing some research alot and the only thing i can find out was maybe it is not a true AMD XP Barton 3200+

[size=7]PLEASE GET BACK TO ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

i have been with out my computer for 2 weeks now and if i have to send it in then there goes another 2 weeks. If the MOBO is junk then i can start ordering my new computer parts and just get it over.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:22 PM

How long does it run before shutting down? When they tested the PS did they tell you what read outs they obtained?
It sounds like a PS problem. How many watts is your PS?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 SteveG05

SteveG05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:08 PM

It can run for hours if i don't play a game. The PS is and ARROWCOOL 550wat. The PS is big enough for this computer. My friend run the same wats and has about 6 lights in his and just just fine.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:55 PM

You could have a bad transformer, or capacitor. Under load they fail. Do you know what your voltage is for the power output?

#5 SteveG05

SteveG05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:21 AM

ok here is what i found out about the PS

AC INPUT 100~120Vac/200~240Vac 10/6A 60/50Hz

TOTAL OUTPUT DC OUTPUT

+3.3V +5V +12V -12V -5V 5VSB
350W 28A 28A 22A 0.8A 0.8A 2.5A MAX 200W
450W 28A 32A 26A 0.8A 0.8A 2.5A MAX 240W
550W 36A 36A 30A 0.8A 0.8A 2.5A MAX 280W

ok now i have an older computer up stairs. This computer is a AMD 2600+ with a ASUS A7N8X-LA MOBO.
(i tried to find info on it but i think it is Obsolete). anyways i put my new CPU into and it runs at the same FSB but the multiplier is at 11x instead of 12.5 and the CORE speed runes at 1830 Mhz (the 2600+ runs at 2080 Mhz) the MOBO also says my CPU is a 2500+.=

no i know i may not know every thing but even if this MOBO is old should my NEW CPU at least run as a 2600+. If i put the old 2600+ into my new computer i can do every thign and it does not lock up. I forgot to try to play some games with the new CPU in my old computer to see if it wors. I will try that later. Thanks for you quick responses so far i hope maybe i can get this problem solved soon.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:39 AM

I meant with diagnostic software what are the real time power readings. Is it putting out 3v or 3.8v, 12v or 13.5v, 5v or 6v?

#7 SteveG05

SteveG05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:02 AM

all of those are in rang other then the core volts when i have to turn them up to get it to run

#8 SteveG05

SteveG05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:07 AM

i don't know the exact reading because now i can't get it to stay running long enough to get into the bios. But what is it was running they were all in range there was not any that were extreme high or low they ran around 3v, 12v, and 5v, but my Core was around 1.85 when it was running fine and not crashing.

i am really sceptical about the CPU. because of the way it acted in my older computer.

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:43 AM

I uderstand.

#10 SteveG05

SteveG05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:15 AM

so could it be the CPU or are u still thinking PS

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:58 AM

When Asus said that the BIOS was messed up, did they also say that they fixed it?

What does your friend have to say about the BIOS settings that he changed?

What happens when you reset the BIOS to default values?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users