Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Repair - Malware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 estevan514

estevan514

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hello. This is my first posting to this forum and I trust that you will be able to help out with my Windows XP 'situation'. I've done some research on the PC Repair malware that has infected my laptop, and have tried several of the suggestions posted - from RKill to Malwarebytes removal but to no avail. Access is denied in all attempts and that's as far as I can take things. I do have administrative rights to my computer, and can't see how that would be a problem.

I have been using FProt AV for the past year and have never had a concern until now. One of the Error windows is a Runtime Error where it states that RISK Software FProt AV for Windows has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way, and of course the standard - system has detected a problem with one or more installed IDE/SATA hard disks.

Hoping someone can help me resolve this issue once and for all. Thanks, Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:40 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

PC Repair malware

Are you sure about the name?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 estevan514

estevan514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

Absolutely.

This link on bleeping computer speaks of it - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/ :

PC Repair is a fake computer analysis and optimization program from the FakeHDD family of rogues. This rogue displays false alerts that state your computer's hard drive is having problems in order to scare you into purchasing the program. PC Repair is installed through hacked sites that exploit vulnerabilities in software that may be installed on your computer. Once installed is it will display false error messages and security warnings on the infected computer. These messages will state that there is something wrong with your computer's hard drive and then suggests that you download and install a program that can fix the problem. When you click on of these alerts, PC Repair will automatically be started.

PC Repair will be configured to start automatically when you login to Windows. Once started, it will display numerous error messages when you attempt to launch programs or delete files. PC Repair will then prompt you to scan your computer, which will then find a variety of errors that it states it cannot fix until you purchase the program. When you use the so-called defragment tool it will state that it needs to run in Safe Mode and then show a fake Safe Mode background that pretends to defrag your computer. As this program is a scam do not be scared into purchasing the program when you see its alerts.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for the link :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

Moved topic from XP to the Am I INfected forum.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 estevan514

estevan514
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

Thanks for the interest so far everybody! Update: After finally finding the product key for my F-PROT AV, deleting the version installed on my computer, which wasn't accessible anyways, and downloading the current updated version, I was able to scan and eliminate the trojan. Then I was able to run the Malwarebytes download and found 4 additional infected files, wiped those clean as well and everything is back to hunkey-dorey!

Back to being a happy computerized camper and willing to offer any support I can to whoever seeks it. Happy trails! Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users