Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI Port Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cephalon

Cephalon

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:37 PM

I dont know if this is the right place to post this topic, if its not then I am terribly sorry for posting this in the wrong forum.

I have had extremely good service with Bleeping Computer, so I am hopeful someone may be able to steer me in the right direction...

Problem: I have a Sony Vaio laptop, model #VPCEB42Fx, I am running windows7, but the main deal is the HDMI port on the laptop.
When I output to my flatscreen TV using HDMI I have been getting strange lines that appear through the TV, I have singled it down to the Laptop, I have tried to use different HDMI cords, and I have tried plugging it into other TV's, and using different HDMI ports on the TV all with the same result, I have had this laptop for awhile now and its never done this before...
I was thinking could the HDMI port be loose on the Laptop?? Or a connection not being made... Its strange, cause it just started doing this not long ago..

Has anyone had this problem before or know anything about it? Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:18 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

A picture is worth a thousand words, if you can post a picture of the television screen that would help me to understand the type of interference you are experiencing with the television screen.

If you can record it and put it up on youtube that would probably be better if the lines roll up the screen.

Now to answer your question without seeing this interference, I can assume you have a powerful RF signal in your area, this could be from a broadcast station, either television or radio and the RF is getting into the wire between the television and the computer.

A bad ground can cause this, the ground issue would undoubtedly be with your computer's HDMI port, as I realize you have tried several different HDMI cables and different television sets.

Now like I said, if you are close to a television broadcast stations transmitter tower, there is a good change their signal is getting into your video circuit through a faulty ground connection.

I have to ask this, does the lines move up the screen and start from the bottom and go up the screen again or does it just sit in one spot?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 31 August 2011 - 02:18 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

Thank you for the response :)

I can post a picture when my friend gets here with his digital camera. I will post one or I will figure out a way to post it.

Basically the line stays stationary, (in one spot) It only happens when moving images are on the screen its like the picture gets cut in half a little bit... I tried different resolutions and the same thing. For example when watching a movie on my laptop connected to the TV the line will come about 3/4ths up in the screen and almost split the picture for a minute, then it will go away then come back. Thats the best I can describe it.

I will post a picture or something as soon as I can, hopefully tonight!! I want to say Thank you for replying and the help you are giving me solve this problem :) Ill post a pic or a video as soon as I can. ;)

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

Okay I will watch this thread for your next reply.

What media player are you using to play the videos?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:50 AM

I am so sorry it took me so long to post again. I feel horrible for making a post and forgetting about it. My apologies.

However I have been trying to record the problem, I have tried several times. Besides college and work I have been very busy lately. One reason I have not been able to post school started. Anyways, with the recordings I record a game, (not with a video camera) but with a software program that records whats on the screen.

I set my laptop to ONLY display on my flat screen, Ill play a couple minutes of game (recording) and I see the line, then when I watch the recording there is no line. I tried several different times.

But the good news is I finally figured it out. This whole time it was a driver update. Well anyways today I saw that Intel had a new driver update out (new for me) and I installed it and like that the line is gone. It was an accident really. With the newest driver I do not see it anymore, moving pictures, I have tested it several times, and its just gone, I thought I had all the updated drivers but I guess not. New graphics driver actually fixed it. I could have sworn for months now that it was my Laptop HDMI port, but this whole time it was a driver issue.

I know why now, when I first got my Sony Vaio it came with a pre installed Sony Graphics Driver for the Intel HD Graphics card (integrated) and I had to jump through some hoops, to uninstall it and use the newest most current Intel driver (at the time it was 4/16/2011). It even warned me that uninstalling the Sony driver could cause issues, me being me, I ignored it completely and went ahead and installed Intel's driver. Then around that time is when i started noticing the line when using HDMI. But now I updated the Intel Driver again (not Sonys because its a 2010 driver, INtels is a 8/15/2011) and the Line is gone. I never even though that could be the issue, well anyways just wanted to say thank you for your time and help, and I truly apologize for not posting back sooner. School just started so I am still getting my time schedule straight.

Thank you again for your time and I am very sorry I have not gotten back to you sooner. My Apologies.

I am happy the problem is solved :)

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

I am so sorry it took me so long to post again.
I am happy the problem is solved :)

No need to say sorry, I can understand your putting your college education up on the top of your priority list. :thumbup2:

I am happy that your HDMI problem has been resolved! :thumbsup:

Thank you for coming back and telling us how you resolved your problem. :wink:

Happy computing!

Bruce.

#7 Cephalon

Cephalon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:30 AM

You guys are the best on the net :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users