Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mapped Drive Won't Stay Connceted

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dschaefer

dschaefer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:28 PM

I have a network of 3 PCs:

A Dell desktop (DATA) running Windows XP home
A HP Laptop (VISTA) running Vista home premium.
A Gateway laptop (WIN7) running Windows7 Home Premium.

My router is a D-link DI-524 running the latest firmware.

DATA is connected to the router, the laptops connect wirelessly. Both laptops are usually within 15 feet of the router.

I have a second hard drive on DATA that is locally designated as Z: and mapped as Z: on both laptops.

Both laptops will not remain connected to the mapped Z: drive. At login, they will usually map properly and work fine - for a while. If the laptops are left idle or simply if the Z: drive is not accessed for a while, any attempt to access the drive results in this error message:

An error has occurred while reconnecting Z: to
\\DATA\Master Data
Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.

This connection has not been restored.

Only restarting the laptop will fix it, simply logging off and back on will not.

I've searched a lot but haven't found an answer to this. The most promising thing I've found is this thread here from a couple of years ago, but there was no resolution!

How can I fix this?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:29 PM

Is Data set to Static IP configuration?

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:07 PM

how are you mapping the drives? If you use the net use command with the /persistant switch it might solve your issue
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 dschaefer

dschaefer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:32 PM

Is Data set to Static IP configuration?

I'm not sure, how do I check?

how are you mapping the drives? If you use the net use command with the /persistant switch it might solve your issue

I'm mapping the drives through Windows Explorer - browse the network to find the shared drive, RMB and map it.

I should mention, the WIN7 laptop replaced an older XP laptop that never had this problem on this same network and same desktop PC (DATA). The VISTA laptop has had it for a long time and the WIN7 laptop for the 6-8 weeks that we've had it.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:37 PM

Go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Right click on your network connection and hit properties go to TCP/IP and select Properties. If the first radio buttons are checked you are set to DHCP, and I would highly recommend not using Windows XP Home to share out drives. I would recommend XP Pro.

#6 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:03 AM

laptops on wifi frequently lose connection with networks, making their mapped drives unmapped or timed out. Try plugging in (to ethernet) if you don't move your laptops around or the easiest fix is to write a batch file you can run to reconnect them quickly. I use one something like this for my clients:

net use z: /delete
net use z: \\servername\sharename /persistent:yes

fill in the right info in there in your notepad, save it as a batch file on your desktop and that becomes your 'reconnect the z drive' button. Make sure you have your laptop users&passwords added as users on your servercomputer with matching passwords to reduce problems.

Hope that helps!

#7 dschaefer

dschaefer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:35 AM

I'll check on the DHCP when I get home.

laptops on wifi frequently lose connection with networks, making their mapped drives unmapped or timed out. Try plugging in (to ethernet) if you don't move your laptops around or the easiest fix is to write a batch file you can run to reconnect them quickly. I use one something like this for my clients:

net use z: /delete
net use z: \\servername\sharename /persistent:yes

fill in the right info in there in your notepad, save it as a batch file on your desktop and that becomes your 'reconnect the z drive' button. Make sure you have your laptop users&passwords added as users on your servercomputer with matching passwords to reduce problems.

Hope that helps!

I like the batch file idea, however I'm dubious that it will work. Here's why:

• don't think it's a general network connection issue as they never loose internet connectivity, only the mapped drive.
  • When I try to reconnect to DATA through Windows, DATA doesn't even appear in the 'network' area. My assumption then is that the batch file would fail as the 'server' (DATA) is missing.

Still, I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight.

Edited by dschaefer, 01 September 2011 - 11:36 AM.

#8 Kalon Wiggins

Kalon Wiggins

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

let us know how it works. most of the time these problems are from your laptops dropping off the network when they go idle. To test this, you could also leave your laptop plugged in with ethernet and disable that wifi connection. If you don't have any problems for a week on the LAN connection then you'll have your answer. Its due to wifi drops.

#9 dschaefer

dschaefer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:27 AM

Tried the batch file on the VISTA laptop, it says in the DOS window "Command completed succesfully." but I still get the same error when trying to connect to DATA. A restart still fixes it.

Go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Right click on your network connection and hit properties go to TCP/IP and select Properties. If the first radio buttons are checked you are set to DHCP, and I would highly recommend not using Windows XP Home to share out drives. I would recommend XP Pro.

The first radio button is selected - "Obtain an IP address automatically." Does that mean I have a dynamic IP configuration? I have a copy of XP Pro, but as I recall, you cannot upgrade an XP Home install to XP Pro, you have to reinstall. Is that correct?

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:39 PM

Yes that means your computer is using DHCP to obtain a IP. Please set up a static IP so your shares do not disconnect.

#11 dschaefer

dschaefer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

Yes that means your computer is using DHCP to obtain a IP. Please set up a static IP so your shares do not disconnect.

I did a little digging and it seems that most folks PCs are set up to use DHCP. Also, some pages mentioned that those who do get an IP from their ISP. Can you give me a little insight into how to do this, or a link to some instructions? Do I set this in my router, or on the PCs? DO I need to do so on all 3 or just DATA, the XP Home desktop?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

What I mean is PC's on your Local Area Network need to be configured to run static IP's especially your server aka Data.

#13 dschaefer

dschaefer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

Finally coming back to this. The static IP didn't sit right with me since research indicated that the vast majority of home users don't need one. I asked the IT guy at work what he thought, and he suggested replacing the router. My old one was a D-Link DI524 wireless G. It was a bit old, introduced in 2004 and discontinued in 2008. So it predates Windows7 and maybe even Vista. :blink:

He recommended a Linksys E3000, he's installed several and never has any wireless issues, so that's what I got. It was easy to set up and once I set the network name and PW the same as the old one, all my wireless devices just worked. :thumbup2:

I've only had it set up for a few days, but it seems to have solved the issue. The bonus is the upgrade to Wireless N on the Win7 machine (the Vista only has G) and the desktop now connects at 1000 MPS instead of 100. :thumbsup:

Thanks for everyone's help.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

What we meant by Static IP was a static IP set up on the internal devices not the external ISP Connection on the Wide Area Network. Static IP's should always be used on servers and machines acting like servers. I am not sure who you asked or what research they did but they are wrong, and you followed poor advice which cost you money. Wireless N is onoly capable of doing 108Megabits a Second on the Local Area Network via Wireless. However, wired the new device will connect to the wired ports at 1000Megabits a second or 1Gigabit on the Local Area Network. You did not have to upgrade anything on your network to achieve what you wanted.

But glad you got it working the way you like.

#15 scrannel

scrannel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

FYI -- had similar problem (after a power outage!)and finally resolved here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684#LetMeFixItMyselfAlways

I entered the registry changes by hand but it probably doesn't matter. I run a pair of network drives (in a D-Link DNS-320) and had this issue with both constantly going down and issuing the above message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users