Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can't Delete File

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Eugenlus_*

Guest_Eugenlus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

I'm trying to delete this file in My Downloads folder (Firefox) but everytime I try, it says "Could Not Find This Item. This is no longer located in C:\Users\Username\Downloads. Verify the item's location and try again. Type:File. Size: 0 bytes. It's just annoying me. I've tried Refreshing and rebooting. Can anybody help?

Edit: changed System Username

Edited by Eugenlus, 30 August 2011 - 03:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:41 PM

1) DO NOT post your system username on public forums. I suggest you edit your post and replace it with "username"
2) Boot to safe mode and try to delete it there. Does the file appear in safe mode and if so can you delete it there?

#3 Guest_Eugenlus_*

Guest_Eugenlus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:56 PM

File appears in Safe Mode and I was still unable to delete it.

Edit: By the way, I am on Windows 7

Edited by Eugenlus, 30 August 2011 - 03:59 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

Just for the heck of it let's try this. Re-download the file to the same location and then try to delete it again.

#5 Guest_Eugenlus_*

Guest_Eugenlus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:35 PM

Allan,
Sorry for the late reply, it was a big file (a zip file, I was able to delete the other files I extracted, but not this one). Anyways, it did not work. It just created another file of the same name and deleted that one. By the way, I will be late in my next reply as I am going away for a few hours, thanks for your continued help.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

First run checkdisk as follows:

To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

I'm guessing that will solve the problem. If it doesn't let's try this: move everything else out of the folder to a temporary location. Delete the entire \downloads folder. Then recreate it and move everything back.

Edited by Allan, 30 August 2011 - 04:42 PM.

#7 Guest_Eugenlus_*

Guest_Eugenlus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:14 PM

Ah, this is weird. The Checkdisk did not get rid of the file, and when I tried to delete the folder itself, it said the same thing "Could not find this item." I am so confused.

#8 Bazcaz

Bazcaz

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:39 PM

Try File Assassin,should fix it?
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/fileassassin

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 12:36 AM

Is the file leftover from a torrent download?

#10 Guest_Eugenlus_*

Guest_Eugenlus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:09 AM

File Assassin did not work :( and no it was a mediafire download

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:39 AM

Just for the heck of it let's try an old trick and see what happens. Open Notepad. Click on FILE - OPEN and navigate to the file in question. When you get to the file, right-click on it and select "delete". Anything?

Also, please scan that folder with your AV and with MalwareBytes.

#12 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:40 AM

Try to get rid of the file as proscribed below. It works for "normal" files (it is supposed to get rid of troublesome files/folders as well); I do not have any errant file to try it out on at the moment.
If the dir /x "method" doesn't sort the issue, there may be other options....

#13 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

Just for the heck of it let's try an old trick and see what happens. Open Notepad. Click on FILE - OPEN and navigate to the file in question. When you get to the file, right-click on it and select "delete". Anything?

I like this old trick. :wink:
I had to enable All Files in associations dropdown to navigate to other file types other than text.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:03 AM

I like this old trick. :wink:
I had to enable All Files in associations dropdown to navigate to other file types other than text.

It's an easy way to delete files Explorer tells you are currently in use. It may or may not be useful in this instance (I'm guessing not, but worth a try)

#15 Guest_Eugenlus_*

Guest_Eugenlus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

That was great! The old trick didn't work, but the Command Prompt worked like a charm. Thank you both so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users