Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jamiewh

Jamiewh

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:49 PM

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jamie. I've been an MCSE and MCP since 1999 when we still used Windows NT4....

I am also an A & P Mechanic and Avionics Technician, holding an FCC General Radiotelephone License, from back in the days when I worked for EASTERN AIRLINES. I managed the Electronic Controls Shop, and the Gyroscope Shop in Miami, FL till the airline ceased operations in January 1991. We had computers that ran testing procedures on many aircraft controlling devices, in my shops, and lots of us were playing around with Commodore 64's on the side. We built most of the test equipment in our shops at Eastern Airlines, including the computer driven test stands that helped us run lengthy tests on things like Autopilots, Generator Control Panels, and Bus Protection Panels, etc, etc..............
Computers were a lot different and slower back then.

I remember one floppy drive that was really FLOPPY. It was about 8 inches in diameter, and naked too. There was No jacket or covering on it. It ran a test on one of our older autopilots from the B727, or DC-9 days.

I'm in Palm Beach county Florida, where it's hot and humid most of the year. Winter is my favorite time here, because it's a little cooler.

I own a couple of old airplanes: 1968 LAKE AMPHIBIAN LA-4 180 TURBO, and a 1969 Mooney M20E Chaparral. They keep me busy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:33 AM

I found one of those large floppies a few years ago at work, and kept it to remind me how fast computing has evolved.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users