Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Background color of .png files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hajduk

Hajduk

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

This is a rather new problem, because, I expect, of the growing use of .png files. The problem shows up in two forms, depending on whether the file’s content is black text or colored.

1. I want to download a graphics file from Wikipedia (this file is from Wikimedia and should be freely available). I double-click on the file, and it appears in a convenient size on a grey-checkered background (indicating a transparent background, the apparent root of all the trouble), as an .sng file (whatever that is). I have the option of displaying it as a .png file in several sizes; whether I do this or not makes no difference to what follows. I right-click on the image and get a menu. I click “Copy Image,” and the program appears to do just that—but when I go to paste it, I get a black rectangle. At no point am I offered the option of selecting a background color (if I could order a white background, the problem would probably not exist).
2. I want to capture a graphics file from the internet. I right-click on it and copy it (as a .png file), but when I paste it the background is black and the text hard to read.

Now, I have learned that this is because the original background was transparent and the copied text is displayed against a default black background. But what do I do about it? Irfanview, which in general I find an excellent program, can probably do this, but if I save the file and open it in Irfanview, I can’t figure out how to use the Floodfill tool in the Paint Dialog Box, and if I try to use “Set Background Color” in the Insert Text menu it just whites out everything, including the preexisting text.

I believe that the problem is the background color, but I don’t know how to change it. TweakPNG seemed promising, but when I try to use it to change the background color, it only tells me “multiple background chunks not allowed”—so what good is it?

Hajduk

Hajduk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

What program are you using? For starters I would recommend saving the file to your computer before trying to copy it elsewhere as you may be copying html instead of the image if it's from the web.

If the transparency is a problem you can just add a white background in GIMP or Photoshop. Just add a layer on the bottom and fill with white or whatever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users