Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who killed the fake-antivirus business?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

The fake-antivirus business was a big money-maker in the first half of this year. Then, at the end of June, fake-AV products practically disappeared from the web. Was it technology, or does traditional law enforcement deserve the credit?

Full article here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/who-killed-the-fake-antivirus-business/3832

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for the update keyboardNinja.
Though rogue software issues decrease dramatically, zero access rootkit and other nasty rootkits are at large. :o

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.
BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

Nothing killed the Fake AV Market. They are in remission, and will come back later with a new arsenal of fake av products. Its a campaign to re-infect already cleaned machines and to introduce new attack vectors much like the fake flash player installs and malicious video links that exploit old and outdated flash players.

The Russian Business Network and others like it will make a come back.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:50 PM

@cryptodan, I agree. It's more than likely just a temporary lull.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:30 AM

Gulp :mellow:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:54 AM

I'd like to think that the drop in reported rogues is due at least in part to those of us who have been educating endusers about the threats and their sources. The FBI and Russian raids probably helped, though...;)
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:40 AM

I noticed a considerable drop off in fake AV's that I am seeing.
Probably the calm before the storm!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:10 AM

Now we need a way to zero out zeroaccess and other rootkits. If that happened we are doing good.

:whistle:
Posted Image

#9 Minh Triet Pham Tran

Minh Triet Pham Tran

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

The fake-antivirus business was a big money-maker in the first half of this year. Then, at the end of June, fake-AV products practically disappeared from the web. Was it technology, or does traditional law enforcement deserve the credit?

I don't believe this. There are many new fake-AV distribution websites which they don't know.
If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you don't understand the problems and you don't understand the technology. Bruce Schneier

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

They didnt say it was wholly erased, but rather no longer the big deal it once was. When it started, a lot of people had problems with them, and they made a fortune, but now, yes there may still be a few out there here and there, theyre no longer making money like they once were and are few and far between-you chances of getting one are rare. Its like people who still use windows 3.1 on their primary OS. The operating system, is in effect dead, kaput gone. Yet, there are still people who use it (and refuse to upgrade) though their hard to find. And the article points out, theres a good chance theyll come back.

Edited by the_patriot11, 07 January 2012 - 11:48 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#11 Nicholas R.

Nicholas R.

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

Thats nice to hear that they're slowly disappearing off the web. They're so hard to get rid of >.<

Hopefully they don't come back with a vengeance...

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

Actually rogues are starting to come back with a vengeance. As I had said in the past, they were only gone until they could find another method of clearing the credit card payments. Looks like they have figured out a way to do this.

#13 MalwareWarrior

MalwareWarrior

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

They aren't as common as they where a while ago, but they most certainly are still a large threat. Speaking of fake-antiviruses, ever heard of SpyVampire? :lol:

#14 avinashpathak

avinashpathak

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Thanks,
Thanks for sharing this article. As we are in IT sector we need to updates with this information .
So thanks

#15 bailey2007player

bailey2007player

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

Now we need a way to zero out zeroaccess and other rootkits. If that happened we are doing good.

:whistle:

I think we have, for ALL rootkits, it's called 64 bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users