Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 Not Starting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hiro1

Hiro1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:02 PM

So here's what I did. I wanted to update win98 to win 98 se. My friend said that he had a cd and to download a bootdisk for it. So I did. I started reading fourms about people doing the samething as me. I read that I should rename win.com to win.old, then restart the computer with the bootdisk and CD. I did so,but I'm pretty sure the cd is a piece of crap because It doe nothing. I can't start win98 with the bootdisk because I have no idea what I'm doing.

When I take the boot disk out to restart the computer it tells me it can't find win.com. What the hell do I do? Please Help. My Fiance is pissed at me. Heh.

Edited by Hiro1, 19 January 2006 - 04:45 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:23 PM

Rename win.old to win.com.

Use F8 as if you were going to start in Safe Mode but instead choose Command Prompt Only.

Using the F8 Method

Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a menu. When you have the menu on the screen select the option for Command Prompt Only using the arrow keys then press enter .

At C:\> type in the following exactly as shown, pressing enter after each line:

cd windows
ren win.old win.com

Restart the computer.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Hiro1

Hiro1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:12 AM

Holy crap, that worked! You freaking rock! <3

Hiro of love.
Posted Image

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:13 AM

Glad I was able to help. Hope the domestic situation is a little better now. :thumbsup:

Welcome to BC Hiro1

Edited by Leurgy, 20 January 2006 - 06:19 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users