Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linking Two Networks Via The Internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:52 PM

I want to be able to access one network from a computer attached to a different network. We have two networks at my office: office network which has a server and a domain, and the client network which is just four computers connected in a workgroup (no server, no domain.)

I'd like to be able to access the client workgroup from my workstation down the hall, but there is no direct connection. Can I add my computer to the workgroup via the internet?

Specs:
My computer runs Windows XP Pro SP2, is on a corporate network with a server and domain

the client computers are: 2 running Win XP Pro SP2; 2 running Win 2000 Pro, on a workgroup with no server or domain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

Have you contacted your Network Administrator? Most corporate enviorment do not allow such wholes punched into the LAN. By connecting your computer to a second unmonitored LAN you leave the Server controlled LAN open to attack thru an unsecure computer.
It can be done, but I cannot see your NA allowing it
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:53 PM

For most intents and purposes, I am the Network Administrator. We're a small non-profit so what ever tech stuff I can't do we contract out to the local Geeks Union. But I'd get in big trouble if I exposed our network to unneccessary risk.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:04 PM

What about using XP's "Remote Assistance" tool? Is there a way to prevent an invitation from expiring?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

You can use pcAnywhere (and I suppose the free VNC) to access another system on the other network. It's how I transfer the data backup from my wife's office to my home.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

TightVNC
http://www.tightvnc.com/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:15 PM

John has a good idea. I also use www.no-ip.com. It is a free basic service. You could install a second LAN profile for you NIC and switch between the two. What are you trying to do? Service the computers remotely? Would allowing the LAN access to the server LAN be out of the question? If not you could alway use a acess point to tie them in. Make sure they are seperate workgroups.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users