Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help making a Window XP CD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zyltis

Zyltis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

I am trying to help out my friend who's computer just decided to go nuts. When she starts her computer up, she gets a black screen with blinking white lines. I know she will need a window XP cd to fix this, but I am not exactly sure how to make one myself. (She lost her CD and I don't have one myself.)

Should I just download Window XP and burn it on a CD like any other files or do I need to do something special?
If you guys would have any links to give me for a good Windows XP, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

There is...no legal download of Windows XP, http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/f/download-windows-xp.htm .

What I suggest...is download SP3 and reinstall it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3

You don't have to use Windows Update to download SP3, it's available in entirety at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=24 .

I've found that reinstalling SP3 cures various problems which may have developed with XP installs.

Louis

#3 Zyltis

Zyltis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:38 AM

I don't think that would fix her problem tho. I'd need the whole thing.

She can't access anything too, not even her safe mode. I have a feeling her Motherboard might have crashed..

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

If it is indeed her motherboard dying out, reinstalling windows will not provide a solution. What seems to be the issue with her computer?

Also, legally, the only thing you are allowed to do is have her borrow your disk and install with her key, and honestly I am not so sure about that. Microsoft writes pretty tight license agreements.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 30 August 2011 - 09:42 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 Zyltis

Zyltis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

All she did was run facebook, her screen froze and she manually shut her computer down. This morning when she booted it, it got stuck on a blank screen with blinking white lines. I told her to hold F8/F10 as she booted for the safe mode, and she said nothing happened. I read somewhere on Microsoft's page that if that happened, it could be fixed (maybe) by repairing Windows XP with the setup CD. I have read elsewhere that it could be the motherboard that is fried.

She doesn't have the money to buy a CD, and I am about 5000km away from her, so I was thinking on burning a CD for her and sending it via mail as my last resort. If that works, then fine, but if it's the motherboard, I can't help her.

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

That does sound more like an operating system error, a reinstall would most likely fix the issue. Unfortunately, in compliance with the boards rules I can't tell you how to make a copy of the disk due to Microsoft's license agreement stating that copying the disk would be a violation.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 30 August 2011 - 09:50 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#7 Zyltis

Zyltis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:53 AM

More of an operating system error, huh? Then I have more hope already if someone else thinks the same too.

I'll find something to make it work. Thanks for the help.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

I'm certainly no authority...but I've had various editions of Windows...and lines appearing onscreen sound like a hardware problem of some sort, IMO. My candidates would be...overheating, video card, RAM, PSU, and motherboard.

I'd suggest a post in the Internal Hardware forum...more opinions are better than one :).

Louis

#9 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:14 PM

Is it posting? and then trying to load Xp?, Or just a black screen with white lines?
If it's the latter my money is on the video card or the connections.
Is it on-board video or does she have a separate card? If separate replace the card.If on-board,installing a separate card and disabling on-board video in the bios settings may fix it.
Does she have access to another monitor to rule that out.(they can up and quit too.)
But at this point it's pretty much a guessing game.
Where ever you go.................. There you are

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users