Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: New computer for College

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wintless

wintless

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

My budget for the new computer is: preferably under 1000.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? email, web browsing, adobe photoshop/illustrator, watching movies/shows, listening to music

What software do you intend on using on the computer? photoshop/illustrator/indesign, microsoft office, itunes...

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? only online games.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? i tend to have a lot of programs running.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? i store A LOT of pictures/music.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:47 AM

I'd say give this one a shot:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246132

It will handle all of those programs with ease. 8GB of ram so it can handle all those open programs with out freezes or crashes, Dedicated nvidia geforce gt555m for the smooth photoshop/illustrator 750GB hdd for all the music and pictures.

Should do you well. :)
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 wintless

wintless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

Oh! Thanks!

Before you replied, I was looking at HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Core Laptop and ASUS G Series G53SW-XN1 Gaming Laptop... They're both I think for gaming, which I do not really care for; however, they're slightly cheaper than the one you suggested to me. (And by slightly cheaper I mean like ~50 dollars less), but I guess my question is which of the 3 would I get the most out of given the price and what I need my computer to do. Because I think they have only 6 GB of RAM, and the ASUS one only has 500 GB. On the other hand, ASUS has an 8 cell battery, better resolution (1920 x 1080), and a 1 year ASUS Accidental Damage Warranty (which given my past, would be very nice to have). The HP just has cool additional things like anti-glare, blu-ray and a finger-print scanner...

Thoughts?!

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

I would go for the Asus because the 460M on the Asus maybe 1 series older then the Lenovo but it is faster then the 555M. Don't even bother to get HP, they have the highest failure rate and Asus has the lowest failure rate.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 wintless

wintless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

there isn't by any chance, a computer with specs this good that is a little lighter? i have to travel a lot between my computer graphic classes and home with this laptop.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:59 AM

ASUS U36 Series U36SD-A1 - This is only weighs 3.74 lbs, it isn't as powerful as the bulky Asus G53 but is good enough for the task you mentioned.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users