Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bottleneck?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikeb2817

mikeb2817

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

How can you tell a bottleneck apart from bad hardware?

I ask as i think my cpu may be bottlenecking my gpu but i know my hardware is bad anyway.

I think its bottlenecking as i am not getting performance that benchmarks suggest i should be getting, at first i thought it was the gpu was just not as good as previously said but after reading a lot online i am under the impression its a bottleneck.

For example, hwmonitor says that my card should be getting average 35 fps in bfbc2 maxed out at 1920x1200

Settings: High Quality
AA: 4x
AF: 8x
Resolution: 1920x1200
Test Machine: Tom's Hardware Test Machine (Source)
GeForce GTX 460 35 FPS
Radeon HD 3870 X2 512MB 35 FPS

However, i play at 1366x768 and if i enable aa and af i cant even play it, i can play with everything on high so long as aa and af is not activated.

Is my cpu bottlencking my card?

Or is there something else i am not getting?

If it is any help to diagnosing my problem, i also have immense microstutter in mw2 and fallout 3

EDIT: thats the benchmark of the 512mb version of my card, i have the 1gb version of the 3870x2
4GB OCZ PC-62-400///OCZ ZS 550Watts
320GB Western Digital///Asus - P5W DH Deluxe mobo
Microsoft Sidewinder x6///SteelSeries Sensei Raw///Saitek X52
Curently playing !!!BF3!!! MW1, Crysis, WaW, BF2 and BF BC2, Crysis 2, Homefront anyone Want a game?
Add me on Steam; SuperDuperMe, and Origin; mikeb2817

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

Hello Mikeb2817 and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Before I answer your questions, I am curious why you assume your hardware is bad, what draws you to this conclusion and what hardware do you assume is bad?

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 mikeb2817

mikeb2817
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

Not bad per say, just not as good as modern counterparts.

Im primarily concerned with my cpu, as thats what i believe is the weaker link to my system.

By bad in general i just meant outdated and redundant by todays standard, somewhat anyway.
My Ghetto System
Zalman Z11 Plus
Intel Q6600@3.0GHZ///Arctic Cooling 13 Freezer 13///HIS HD 7850 IceQ X 2GB
Curently playing !!!BF3!!! MW1, Crysis, WaW, BF2 and BF BC2, Crysis 2, Homefront anyone Want a game?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:13 PM

Okay and the system we are speaking of would be the one you have in your signature is that correct?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 mikeb2817

mikeb2817
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

Yeh, they are all of my parts and it is used primarily for gaming
My Ghetto System
Zalman Z11 Plus
Intel Q6600@3.0GHZ///Arctic Cooling 13 Freezer 13///HIS HD 7850 IceQ X 2GB

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

Have you tried the free version of Prime95 or 3dMark06?

I'll provide the links below, try running both programs separately and see what your ratings are from each one.

There should be support dialog on the publishers web sites and the built in help menu of each program.

Please post back your results and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Prime95 http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

3dMark06 http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/introduction/

Bruce.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

Prime 95 only stresses out the processor to the max.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:59 PM

Prime 95 only stresses out the processor to the max.

That's what he needs to do, this way he knows which is causing the bottleneck, the central processor or the Video Graphics Processor. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:33 PM

The stress-test feature in Prime95 can be configured to better test various components of the computer by changing the *fast fourier transform (FFT) size. Three pre-set configurations are available: Small FFTs and In-place FFTs, and Blend. Small and In-place modes primarily test the FPU and the caches of the CPU, whereas the Blend mode tests everything, including the memory.

By selecting Custom, the user can gain further control of the configuration. For example, by selecting 8-8 kB as the FFT size, the program stresses primarily the CPU. By selecting 2048-4096 kB and unchecking the "Run FFTs in-place" checkbox, providing the maximum amount of RAM free in the system, the program tests the memory and the chipset. If the amount of memory to use option is set too high, then the system will start using the paging file and the test will not stress the memory.

Edited to post the link to the article.

Prime95 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited by dc3, 31 August 2011 - 11:40 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users