Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Questions Re Wireless Security

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KevinMac

KevinMac

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:38 PM

I'm seeing the need for security, because every time I look I can see the signal from several neighbors!

1. It's clear from the directions how to set up encryption on the router, BUT...How does each computer know what kind of encryption is being used?

2. If I limit the router to specified MAC addresses, which seems like a good security measure: Is there a way to set up a "guest" account of some kind for when visitors come over with their laptops? Or does that defeat the purpose by giving hackers a way in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:45 AM

1. You have to set up the same encryption on each PC that will join your network. There will be software installed on each PC that has a wireless NIC and you use that to enter the appropriate SSID and encryption key/passphrase. (In some cases SSID may set up automatically).

2. No guest accounts, or indeed any other accounts, it's just a list of allowed MAC addresses. (The MAC address is an unique number associated with the physical hardware of any network card. In theory no two network cards, and therefore PCs, can have the same MAC address). You have to add your guest to the list the first time but from then on you won't have to do anything. Backup the router configuration in case it gets reset by accident.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 20 January 2006 - 01:47 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 KevinMac

KevinMac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:01 AM

Much appreciated, thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users