Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes when any Disc is Inserted

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LilJohnAY

LilJohnAY

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:49 AM

Hey guys.
I've just encountered a problem after doing a system restore to my computer, and reinstalling my ATI video drivers, the Microsoft .NET framework 3.5, and iTunes + Quicktime (I had thought at first it were an iTunes problem). I went to go burn an audio disc onto my computer, and once I inserted the disk, you could hear the disc drive faintly whirr as if it were going to load the disc, and then my computer would freeze. After rebooting and trying this again (and again, and again), I get the same results every time. On one instance, I kept My Computer up while I put the disc in, and the second it recognized it as "Audio Disc", the machine froze.
I've searched the forum here, and I cannot seem to find anything like this.

Also, my disc drive has worked absolutely fine in the past 3 years I've had it. Not a single problem.

I am using Windows XP Professional - Service Pack 3.
I'd tell you the brand of disc drive I have, but I'm afraid whenever I try to open System Information or Help and Support, nothing happens. :[
Device Manager tells me it is this: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA H73N SCSI cd-rom
I would try to update the driver for this drive, but I really cannot find out what it is. :|

Does anybody have any idea as to what the problem could be here??

Many many thanks in advance,

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LilJohnAY

LilJohnAY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:17 AM

Added note: Immediately after bringing my computer out of a Standby state, it froze as well. I don't know if this has anything to do with the disc-read problems....

#3 zordon

zordon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:29 AM

It could be a bad disc or your cd drive failing. Try reading a retail DVD or CD and see if it makes a difference.

#4 LilJohnAY

LilJohnAY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:45 AM

Hhhhmmmmmmm........ Interesting results: At first, I thought one of the discs i had was totally busted, so i tried a fresh, new one as you said. It seemed to work perfectly fine. As a test, i checked to see if i could burn the disc okay. That went all fine and dandy, BUT: as soon as i ejected the disc, my computer froze yet again. :/ It also froze when i rebooted and plugged in an iPod to load the songs: everything loaded and transferred fine, but once i ejected the iPod, the computer froze yet again. I wonder.........

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

I would take a look in Event Viewer...at the errors that pop up approximating the time that the freezes occur.

Louis

#6 LilJohnAY

LilJohnAY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

Louis,
I did as you said. Looking at the times of the errors, I saw that when the freezes occurred, the system showed this error, from the source "redbook":

"This drive has not been shown to support digital audio playback.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

Seems weird because this occurred:
1. When inserting an Audio CD
2. After inserting an Audio CD, importing it to my computer, and only after ejecting
3. Immediately upon ejecting my iPod
4. Inserting not an Audio CD, but a Game Disc

Visiting the site, I get nowhere. Only a message saying:
"Server Error in '/fwlink' Application.
The resource cannot be found.
Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /fwlink/events.asp."

Also, the errors you can see (towards the bottom of the screencap) all say the same thing, from source 'DCOM':

The server {DC0C2640-1415-4644-875C-6F4D769839BA} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Each instance says the same error, and they are about 30 seconds apart. And at the times shown, nothing noticeably wrong had been happening with my computer. ?Don't know if this is related? :scratchhead:

Update:
As I was writing this post, I went to Device Manager to check out the Properties of the Disk Drive. I saw an option "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device." selected. I figured I'd try deselecting it. I did, clicked OK, and my computer immediately froze yet again. I checked the Event Viewer on this startup, and it has the same error message as the first one I posted up there^^^^

And I'm sorry. I should be waiting for further instruction, instead of poking around by myself. This has already lead to not-so-good results :huh: :tvhorror:

Attached Files

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

For more info on Redbook error, http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=10&eventno=1512&source=redbook&phase=1 .

Louis

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

Hi -

Just to add to hamluis I found this topic -
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdriver-list.org%2Fhl-dt-st-dvd-rw-gsa-h73n-scsi-cdrom-device-driver%2Fdrivers-dvd%2Fdvd-cluster-70%2F&ei=L4BdTv-kAoTrrQej49WvDw&usg=AFQjCNEgjQj5PAKHDrOM-KRRKeoDOCcVGw
Recurrent HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N SCSI CDROM DEVICE DRIVER problems are the result of a
Windows version upgrade. The release update will never update any of the DVD drivers
( and this includes is needless to say HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N SCSI CDROM DEVICE DRIVER)
and the out of date HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N SCSI CDROM DEVICE DRIVER ceases to be
equipped to communicating with the fresh programs.

Thank you -

#9 LilJohnAY

LilJohnAY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

Thank you both for the responses.

My question is now this:
Why would my disc drive be perfectly fine, and not have a problem with any of the discs I've been using for the past 3 years, but all of a sudden will not play anything??

#10 LilJohnAY

LilJohnAY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:50 AM

Yet another computer freeze situation has risen. This one was out of NOWHERE. I have no idea what caused this one. Event Viewer states:

The device, \Device\Scsi\nvgts1, did not respond within the timeout period.

What the HECK is happening to my computer?? o__o

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:16 AM

Well...it seems that your problems...began before you attempted the System Restore.

Since we don't know what transpired before that and what led you to believe that SR might be the answer...it's hard to respond.

System manufacturer and model?

FWIW

Louis

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:45 AM

I take it that you have a good (or reasonable) internet connection at this time.
After you read all the information that Louis has left, please Google, HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA H73N SCSI cd-rom Drivers

You will find several links to good drivers and more information there that can also assist you
Do not use any Registry Cleaner links that you may come across in your search, only usegood direct information that you find.

Thank You -

the result of a Windows version upgrade.

Please note this from my previous post -
These are some of the problems that come with doing a system restore or reinstall

#13 LilJohnAY

LilJohnAY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

Darn.

Let's get to it, then:

I have a Dell XPS 630i.
The problems began when one day (August....19th, I believe?) when I got a BSOD. I figured "Okay, I'll reboot and see if it persists." If I remember correctly, here I was poking around the program WinPatrol, and I think I may have accidentally deleted something I should have. I believe it was in the Hidden Files section (which I definitely shouldn't have poked around in)....

Alas, just as I begin to search on the internet for Dell drivers, I get another BSOD. "Here we go again...."

I reboot,
and after the Dell load screen, I am greeted with a glorious black screen of death, with only a cursor, no error message.
I tried using another computer to search the internet far & wide to figure out what to do here.
I know I needed the Windows XP disc, so I got that.

I tried everything I could find:
-chkdsk /r
-fixboot
-repairing the startup
-Making a bootable flash drive
Each of these did not help.

I could not try fixmbr, however. I was afraid, because of a rootkit virus I had a while back (that the lovely folks here helped me very greatly with).

I believe it was after I tried using the flash drive to boot, instead of a blank screen, I received at least a hal.dll error message. Saying the file was "missing or corrupt", and therefore Windows couldn't start.
So I got around to installing a second WINDOWS on my hard drive (I have a feeling this could definitely be leading to some kind of issues) to try and access the file from the original WINDOWS. I figured I could copy simply the hal.dll file from the fresh installation to the old (I could access the WINDOWS files from WINDOWS2), but it was not that easy. :(

Finally, I'd stumbled across a website that seemed like it had fairly-understandable and not incredibly difficult to follow instructions on how to get to System Restore. The site was here.
Little did I know, it had substantial errors in Recovery Console grammar, so I tried going around a few steps, and it worked.
The article says to make files of the C:\WINDOWS\system32\config folder to a Temporary folder, in case something goes wrong.

The 'copy' and 'delete' functions would not work for me, so I hoped for the best and skipped that step.
I also skipped the next step, because (despite those commands not working either), I didn't need to get into that installation of Windows - I had the 2nd one I just made. So I used the 2nd Windows to find the Snapshot folder of a System Restore point (from the primary WINDOWS) from before the incident occurred. I took these system files, and copied them into the Temporary folder we had to make in the beginning of this process.
So I went into the Recovery Console to copy the files from that Tmp folder to a folder in the core of the WINDOWS installation (I don't know why I didn't realize I could do this from Windows, like I'd just done the other. :|

Another interesting note needs to be brought up here, as well:
ONLY this time using the Recovery Console, I was asked for an Administrator password after selecting which of the two WINDOWS installs I'd like to use the Recovery Console for. I am the only user of my computer, and the Administrator. I thought this was odd, because every other time (of the innumerable) I used the Recovery Console for this problem, I was not asked for an Administrator password. Stranger YET, no password was suffice. Not the one to log-in to my profile on the computer, not an old password, and not even just hitting the Enter key.

After becoming incredibly frustrated, I wondered what would have happened if I went to the WINDOWS2 installation, and used the 'cd' command to the change the directory to the standard WINDOWS. For some miraculous reason, it worked. I copied the files into the system root, and upon reboot, alas, FINALLY, I could boot safely back into my regular WINDOWS!!

The only problem from here on was that I was still receiving some BSOD's. The ONLY thing I could have attributed them to was my ATI video drivers. These were a real hassle to try and update: I'd updated them before, I didn't think it would be difficult to do it again. I'm not sure why, but during the install I kept receiving a timed-out error, and the driver was not installed. After multiple tries, for some reason it finally worked.

And this brings me to the problem I have now.
I noticed that I was no longer receiving BSOD's. I figured it was safe to try a task that would take a small amount of time to complete, so I went to put in an audio disc to import in iTunes. The computer froze. I looked on the internet to try and find any solutions for why my iTunes or computer would do this to me. I found one poster that had recommended to uninstall iTunes and the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. And so I did. After I got iTunes to install again, I tried to load another disc. And it froze yet again.

And that is how I got where I am now. :mellow:

I'm terribly sorry this information is as sporadic and random as it is. It's been a terribly exhausting, up-all-night demeanor for the past week or two. :/

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

IMO...that's a lot of action :) and I just would have done a clean install after the malware issues and subsequent problems, after backing up my data files.

Hal.dll errors and system missing or corrupt errors...as a follow-on to a situation that typically is overcome by chkdsk /r (the blinking cursor, black screen) certainly would have resulted in a hard drive diagnostic by me...before doing a clean install.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users