Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Bad Diode

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:46 PM

Hello all...

On my own computer I blew my Hard-drives Sata/Ide circuit board that attaches to the hard-drive....

It seems to be a diode of some sort that got burned if you see the pic attached is the black "little square" that bubbled up.
What happen is one of my adapters from ata-ide had the polarities mixed and I plugged in the drive and it burned it up with in seconds...

I am trying to fix this one.. Has anyone replaced just the circuit board... or has soldered a new diode onto the device?

I am on a quest it feels like brain surgery.....

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank-you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:47 AM

Hello, I believe you forgot to attach your image to your post.

If you were to have a hard drive that is similar to your present drive, that controller board would actually work with this hard drive.

The thing is you have to have a board that is similar to the one you have now.

That big chip on the circuit board is the brain of this whole hard drive, it is flashed with data that tells the computer how many sectors there are on the disks inside along with other important data, so things have to match up properly in order to get this work right.

If you can get another hard drive of the same brand, same size, you might be able to pull this switch-a-roo off and save what's on those disks.

Do not attempt to open the drive to retrieve those disks, that is asking for trouble and destruction of the platters inside, take my word on that warning, opening the drive is instant failure waiting to happen.

If you wish you can post that picture and I'll see if I can identify the burnt component.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:24 AM

Has anyone replaced just the circuit board

There a lots of people replace circuit board. But you need exactly same Model and finding it will not easy.

soldered a new diode onto the device?

You could do it but you need to be very carefull when you do it. And make sure that you not burning something when you soldering.

Do not attempt to open the drive to retrieve those disks, that is asking for trouble and destruction of the platters inside, take my word on that warning, opening the drive is instant failure waiting to happen.

Please take this to your mind JUICYboy. As your problem is only circuit board and not inside Hardrive. Dont make any mistake with opening your Hardrive.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:06 AM

Sorry....

My image was to big to upload...

I got to go to go to work I will upload it later... today

Thanks

Edited by JUICYboy, 30 August 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#5 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

Okay I fixed some other computers I was working on....

Now let me upload the picture...
I think the easiest thing to do is replacing the ciruit board but again like you guys said it has to the same internal information such as GB, RPM settings and so forth so that is going to be tricky... I will take it to a electronic shop see if they can soldered one of those bad boys on it for me...

Edited by JUICYboy, 30 August 2011 - 11:32 PM.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:57 AM

You are correct that is indeed a diode, the symbol on the circuit board is definitely that of a diode.

Something caused that diode to burnout, did you happen to short the board out somehow or did it just burn open for no apparent reason?

Because it could happen again.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

yes it is a diode..

No what happen is I took out the drive and I pluged it to a external powerchord with the sata connector...

The only problem was that the 4 pins where out of the housing and stupid of me decided to just push them back into the housing thinking it will be okay... :rip:

The continuity was wrong and it caused it to burn... all of this for saving a gas trip to the store and buying a new connector for $3.00 US dollars :axe:

It is my fault and I admit it....

Edited by JUICYboy, 31 August 2011 - 09:16 AM.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

Ah I can understand, it happens.

Surface mount can be a pain to repair, but the intent of the electronics industry is that todays electronics were intended to be disposable.

The cost of repairing those devices far exceeds the cost of buying a new one.

This is why the recycling facilities for electronics are so over-whelmed with stock piles of them.

If you bring to an electronics repair tech, they should be able to get this drive up and running again, there may also be a shorted or open coupling capacitor in that circuit as well as I see there is one and a transistor in associated with that circuit as well, although your circle partially covers up that area of the circuit so it's hard for me to tell.

Bruce.

#9 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

Thank-you sir

I have bought 2 .27 cent resistors that I will carefully soder on if not I will just buy a new drive....

Thank-you

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

You're welcome and you sound like you are very capable of performing that repair yourself, which would be great, sure saves on a repair bill.

I wish you luck and keep me updated.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users