Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to get a DSL network with an existing Cable

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OnceKnown

OnceKnown

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:57 PM

I'm having some family issues with my retarded brother. He already has a cable network set up with two gate ways (I'm not sure what they mean by gateways). He's limiting my internet access and I'm getting fed up with his stupidity. So I'm wondering if it is possible to get DSL while an existing cable network is already up. My brother say it's not possible since the phone jack is in use? But my friend says you only need the cable chord for cable. AT&T also states that it is possible. I'm wondering what are the necessary steps to take to get my own internet at the same address with an existing network already in place.

Thank you!

Edited by OnceKnown, 29 August 2011 - 11:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dave225

Dave225

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

Cable and DSL are two ways of getting internet into your house and are Not dependent on each other.

Not sure what you mean by "not possible since the phone jack is in use" ; if he has cable - it should not be using a phone line?

As long as you have a phone line, you can get DSL on it.
You will need to attach small filters to each phone jack that has a telephone attached to it.
They usually provide the required filters.

Is there just one phone line that you both use or do you have your own phone line ?
( this is a "land line" ; not cell )

Even if you share the same phone line - it can still be done.

Once turned up, they will send you a DSL modem that you plug into your wall phone jack.
Then attach your PC ethernet cable into the DSL ethernet connection.

By the way, DSL will typically be slower than cable.

#3 OnceKnown

OnceKnown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:01 AM

We both live in the same house under my parents, so I believe we just have one phone line. I'm happy that i can still get DSL under the circumstances. I know that DSL is slower than cable, but I really don't need that much of a high speed internet. I just want to get out of his stupid tyrant personality thinking he's the boss over the house technology.

When you say that I will need to "attach a small filter to each phone jack that has a telephone attached to it". Does it mean every phone in the house? And what does these filters do? Do they separate the DSL connection from the original phone activity?

I also have other questions, like if I use a wifi adapter instead of an ethernet wire. Does it matter in connectivity from a DSL VS. Cable? Or they're both the same?

I'm planning to get the AT&T U-Verse High Speed Internet. The sales people said that I need to use their modem/router module to gain access to the internet, and other router/modem hardware will not work with it. I was wondering if anyone has knowledge on how good is the AT&T model?

Thank you for your help.

Edited by OnceKnown, 30 August 2011 - 01:24 AM.

#4 Dave225

Dave225

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:01 PM

If the DSL line can be separated where it comes into your house, you may be able to put a single filter there and run a direct line into your room or wherever you will have the modem/router. But typically a filter will go where ever there is a telephone or fax machine that is on the same phone line as the DSL.
If no filter, you may hear noise on the telephone when in use and you will also degrade the speed of the DSL.

Wireless connections are typically slower than if you attach directly using ethernet cable to the pc.
Speed v.s. convenience. Cable and DSL are no different regarding wireless - its all in the router.

AT&T U-Verse High Speed Internet is a location sensitive service (fiber optics). I assume you went to their web site and plugged in your phone number or address to make sure you can get the service. This service usually includes a modem/router and you can specify you want wireless too. Many people have good and bad experiences - you should go with what the ISP provides to simplify support issues.

#5 OnceKnown

OnceKnown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

Okay I'll talk with them directly when ordering. I also have a little bit more questions. We used to have an old DSL network, and I see that some of the phone jacks already had an old filter on them. Does it matter which type of filter is being used? Should I change out with the new ones given to me?

Also. My ethernet cable is nailed to the wall and it's a bit of a hassle to move all of it from the whole house. So like you said I'm planning to connect the filter to the phone jack that I know is open and rope the phone line all the way to my room and connect it to my modem/router and use a shorter ethernet wire to connect to my computer. Does it sound workable to you?

Thanks Dave225 you've been really helpful.

#6 Dave225

Dave225

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:11 AM

DSL filters should be the same and can be re-used.

So the task is to get the DSL modem/router into your room by either using the existing phone wiring and putting a DSL filter on each jack that has a phone attached.

OR running a new phone line from where the DSL line enters the house all the way into your room ( no filters needed ), then simply run an ethernet cable from the router to your PC.

You would not need the ethernet cable nailed ( bad idea ) to the wall.

UNLESS the other end of the ethernet cable can be attached to the new DSL router ?

Have Fun !

#7 OnceKnown

OnceKnown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hi Dave225,

A follow up question is needed to ask you about the AT&T U-verse DSL. I just recently found out from the people that the their new DSL uses a cable instead of the phone jack entrance.

I was wondering if it's possible to have two cable internet lines into one house? The guy said it was possible and my cousin says it's possible too. Due to the splitting of it? Would it affect one another or it's absolutely fine? And is it possible in the first place?

#8 Dave225

Dave225

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:16 PM

I do not see how that is possible.

DSL is over phone lines and cable is over "cable".

What is your current ISP that your brother manages?
I assume it is the same as your cable tv provider?

Cox, TimeWarner, etc.

#9 OnceKnown

OnceKnown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:59 PM

I'm not sure what ISP he uses, and if what my sister said is true. I think we're using cable from AT&T? I'm not sure. The guy said he can split the cable and send two different ISPs so they don't clash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users