Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dlactrlw.exe can not start. DLACTRLW.EXE is infected by the W32/Blaster.worm

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 psq

psq

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

I am running Windows XP. Today I went away from my home computer for about half an hour. I left Firefox on. I had four Firefox windows open, three of them open to very innocuous pages related to work. Two were the home pages of private foundations, and one was the Hotmail login page, without any login information entered in the fields. The fourth page was something called ilemi.eu, which broadcasts live bootleg transmissions of sporting events. I've never had a problem with ilemi before, and I've used it many times.

When I came back into the room, suddenly I had a popup in the bottom right-hand corner that said "dlactrlw.exe can not start." And a message that said dlactrlw.exe is infected by the W32/Blaster.worm.

Firefox had closed.

Whatever this virus is then stopped me from running any applications on the computer at all.

On another computer, I looked at several online discussions about this virus. Using the other computer and a thumb drive, I downloaded several different versions of RKill, and transferred them to my computer. Eventually, after several tries, the one named eXplorer.exe was able to run. None of the others would run.

When that worked, I was able to run Firefox. I went online and downloaded SUPERAntiSpyware. When I try to run that, I get an error message that says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I also downloaded MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. When I try to run that, I get the same error message. I also have Windows Defender. When I try to run that, I get the same message.

So I downloaded the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Version, which creates a random name to trick the virus. That will run. It runs anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes, then turns itself off right in the middle of the scan. It doesn't generate any log that the scan ever took place.

As of now, RKill seems to run almost constantly. Other applications will work, and I no longer get the original popup. But everything seems to be running slower than it ought, and it's distracting to have the RKill keep popping up every few moments. When RKill starts, everything on the desktop disappears for several seconds. Also, if I try to run the Windows Search function, RKIll will kill that within a minute or two.

RKill generates a Notepad entry when it runs. It says

"Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

Rkill completed on 08/29/2011 at (such and such a time, updated every few minutes)"

It doesn't mention the actual name of any process it has terminated.

I will appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 psq

psq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:33 PM

I went online to download Defogger.exe, but Firefox kept being redirected to some adware page. I couldn't get to the Defogger page. Then Firefox froze.

I closed Firefox, but the computer froze, so I rebooted it.

It is showing me an error message before Windows launches.

"svchost - System Error"

"The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded. The length and number of secrets is limited to satisfy United States State Department export restrictions."

Click OK on that, and it gives me:

"services.exe - Application Error"

The instruction at "0x771384a4" referenced memory at 0xab84e262". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

I clicked on OK, now I have a dialogue box telling me the system is shutting down, with a countdown from 59 seconds. It just counted down to zero and left me with a blank desktop. Nothing happening at all. But not shutting down, either. Awesome.

I just manually shut it down myself.

#3 psq

psq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

Also, all the USB ports are now dead. I can't download anything to a thumb drive on another computer and switch it over to this computer anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users