Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Protection/infinite boot loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pianoplayer88

pianoplayer88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:20 PM

Hello,

First off, I'd like to apologize if a topic already exists on this, but I did some searching and found nothing...

Laptop is running windows 7 home, 64 bit. It was infected with the "Security Protection" malware, and I followed the steps listed here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-protection

While running RKill, the 'security protection' started running again, and the computer unexpectedly shut down. When it tried to boot back up again, it never made it past the red compaq loading screen before shutting down and repeating the whole process. I can hit esc for the startup options, but cannot hit f8 to start in any sort of safe mode.

This is my friend's computer, and she doesn't have any recovery discs...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zordon

zordon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:29 AM

I can hit esc for the startup options, but cannot hit f8 to start in any sort of safe mode.

This is my friend's computer, and she doesn't have any recovery discs...

You might be doing something wrong. First you need to make sure the computer is completely off. To do so, unplug the power and remove the battery for about 10mins. Then power up the computer and immediately start tapping the F8 button. You should get the Advanced Boot Options menu.

Posted Image

After running Malwarebytes in safe mode with networking the rogue anti-virus should be gone. If you really want to run a factory reset on the computer, you can do it from the "Repair Your Computer" option or by pressing F11 on startup (WARNING, this would erase all files and restore the computer back to the factory state)

Edited by zordon, 30 August 2011 - 12:30 AM.

#3 pianoplayer88

pianoplayer88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:04 PM

the computer is off. i've already tried removing the battery, and pressing f8 immediately upon start up won't do anything.

#4 zordon

zordon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

the computer is off. i've already tried removing the battery, and pressing f8 immediately upon start up won't do anything.

Try hitting ESC for the startup options. Load the hard drive and then immediately start hitting F8.

#5 pianoplayer88

pianoplayer88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

nope. i've run a system diagnostics on everything, and everything is fine. when i try to do a system recovery it still kicks off, and loops the boot screen again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users