Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless will show no networks ocasionally

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mikeb2623

mikeb2623

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:52 PM

This problem has been occurring on and off for about the last 5 months. It has seemed to be happening even more within the past month. I have a Lenovo T410 with Windows 7 Professional 64x, a Realtek Wi-Fi card and the odd thing I noticed was that there is a Microsoft Virtual Wi-Fi Mini Port listed in my network connections. I am speculating that since I have the 64x the drivers may be crashing periodically. One week I will have no troubles the next week I will. It is terribly inconsistent. Also I have tried Ubuntu and there seemed to be no problems there. I am a little nervous about making the complete change over to Ubuntu be cause I need my computer to be reliable due to being a student. Any insight will be greatly appreciated and if you need more information I will be checking my e-mail and this thread regularly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:18 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

You mentioned your WIFI drivers may be periodically crashing, have you noticed any blue screens during these events or are you saying you're simply losing your wireless connection?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 mikeb2623

mikeb2623
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:10 PM

Thank you for your timely response. No no blue screens whatsoever. I am on the WI-FI right now and it is working. Although I had to start up lenovo's bloat ware network utility. I have disabled The Lenovo Networking Utility from start up though.

#4 mikeb2623

mikeb2623
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

Also I would like to mention that I rarely have trouble at home connecting; only sometimes will it show there are no networks. While I am on campus it will show networks for a moment then take forever to connect then they will disappear. I have tried all the basic tricks with 60% success.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

Okay what I am trying to figure out is in your opening post you stated that your 64 Bit drivers are crashing periodically, what gives you that indication that this is happening?

Hang in there, just trying to gather enough information to help me give you a workable solution.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 mikeb2623

mikeb2623
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:06 PM

I'm sorry for being confusing; I do appreciate the help. It was a speculation that I came to that I heard someone say that Win 7 has limited 64 bit drivers.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:21 PM

Actually 64 Bit drivers are starting to become commonplace with newer hardware, in fact Windows 8 will start driving those 64 Bit drivers, just like windows XP starting driving those 32 bit drivers.

As you can see the drivers for 16 Bit are now obsolete, they went out with Windows ME.

So to be truthful with you, 64 Bit drivers are going to be more of the 'norm' in the next year or so and 32 Bit support will become obsolete.

There are a few drivers out there that are still being bug-checked or are in BETA, but it's only a matter of time when all hardware will be based on 64 Bit technology.

In the future, we'll be looking at 128 Bit drivers. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

#8 mikeb2623

mikeb2623
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

You seem to be very knowledgeable, although you have not answered how I should troubleshoot this problem. I have updated the driver. Lenovo's website had the driver I needed after some research. No further assistance from you is needed at this time unless you feel compelled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users