Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"boot Failure System Haulted"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 felinepeachy

felinepeachy

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:47 PM

Gatway 300SE with Windows XP.
When I turn on the computer it comes up with: Intel ® Boot agent Version 4.0.14 blah blah blah and Boot Failure System Haulted.

So I tried to boot in safe mode, won't let me same message

So I tried to boot from the Windows XP disk and it no matter what I tried it says "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed" and "Windows XP has not been installed on this computer"

So I tried to install it and it keeps saying the same thing about it not being able to find any hard disk drive.

Why is this happening, it was fine one day and gone the next. This is my moms computer. All she does is surf the web. I am ready to take a sledge hammer to it. This is the second time this has happened but last time I just reinstalled Windows but now it won't let me even do that.

I don't know alot about computers so can someone explain it to me in dummy terms. Which "F" keys etc.
:thumbsup:
Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:11 PM

Sounds like your hard drive or your network adapter on your motherboard may have failed.

#3 felinepeachy

felinepeachy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:14 PM

Okay, this may sound stupid but what does that mean and what do I do? Does that mean it needs a new hard drive? :thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:40 PM

A lot depends on what's been done to this computer. Have you been inside the case? If so, what did you do inside it?

There's a lot of stuff to check - the most obvious being the hard drive. But also, you can check the cables and the pins to the cables on the motherboard and hard drive (be careful to ground yourself and unplug the system from the wall so that static doesn't destroy anything).

You can download a boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com (one of the Win98 one's will do) - then boot with it in the A: drive and let us know what message comes up (at the end, you should end up with an A:\> prompt on the left hand side of the screen). If this works, we know that your motherboard is probably good. Then it's either the cables or the drive.

Once you've double and triple checked the cables (because you don't want to get a new hard drive and then find out it was the cables), then it's time to try a new hard drive.

The bad news is that, if the drive is truly hosed - you've lost everything that was on the drive. You may be able to access it with some free utilities once the system is up and running, but then again - you may not. I've got just such a hard drive sitting on my desk as a paperweight now. It contains 3 years of my internet research - and it would cost between $600 and $1800 to have a professional service recover it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 felinepeachy

felinepeachy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:17 PM

John, I so wish I knew what the heck you were saying, I just now opened the computer up and am looking at it's guts. To me it just looks like an aerial view of some city and a bunch of wires of different colors. Some of the wires have plugs at the end of them but they are not plugged in. They have labels on them like, P5, P7, P2. Is this something you can talk me through about what to look for and check etc. As far as it needing a new hard drive, there isn't anything my mother does with the darn thing but read all her left wing propaganda. She has never opened any program but the AOL.(which sucks) Any way my point is there are no files or anything to be lost. She is just a surfer. All she cares about is being able to get on the internet.

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it very much.
Mia :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:05 AM

Did you get a chance to try a boot disk as I suggested in my earlier post? If so, what were the results?

Don't worry about not understanding me (my wife says the same thing!) - I'm really into this tech stuff, so occasionally someone has to slap me upside the head to bring me back to earth! :thumbsup: Just let me know what's confusing you and I'll explain it better!

We can talk you through almost anything to do with the computer. That's what we're here for (and a lot of us have been doing this for years)! If there's anything that's too complicated - just let us know and we'll explain it further.

OK, so here we go!......

First, while in your case, you'll need to locate the CMOS battery. It's a round silver thing like a coin. It should say something like CR2032 on it's face. Pickup another CR2032 battery (about $1.50 at WalMart). Then unplug the system from the wall, remove the old battery (there's usually a small clip holding it in), wait 30 minutes and then put the new battery in. Then reboot the computer and see if Windows starts to load. You may get an error message from your BIOS that you need to enter setup. If so, enter it and reset the date and time (nothing else) and exit, saving your changes.

CAVEAT: This probably isn't the cause, but it's a possibility and is a whole lot cheaper and easier than a new hard drive or motherboard.

Next, while I don't expect that this is the problem either (cables, in my experience, don't often go bad on their own), you should check it just to be sure. Once again, it's a cheaper solution than the hard drive or motherboard. The cables are the long, flat one's, about 2 inches wide, with connectors on each end and one in the middle. They're usually grey in color (or off-white). Borrow the cable from the CD Drive (normally there's 2 cables in each case) to do this.

Normally, there'll be 2 of these cables running from the motherboard (the city looking thing) to the drives. And, once again, normally one will run to your hard drive and another will run to your CD Drive. Please note where the one from the hard drive plugs into the motherboard, and which connector is plugged into the hard drive (the one at the end or the one in the middle). If you borrow the one from the CD drive,

Now, when you first borrow the cable from the CD drive, just unplug it from the CD drive and leave it plugged into the motherboard where it is. Plug the proper connector into the hard drive and reboot to see if Windows starts. If so, Great! If not, then shut down and move the cable to the motherboard plug that the hard drive cable was in (leaving it plugged into the hard drive). Then reboot and see if Windows starts. If this doesn't work, just put everything back to the way it was in the beginning and we'll move on from there.

What this has done is it's tested the 2 channels on the motherboard (each of the plugs on the motherboard is a different channel). This helps to rule out a problem that may affect only one of the channels, and helps with the later troubleshooting.

Now, since I've based this on presuming that this is the first time that the case has been opened, that it's not full of dust and hairballs, that the computer hasn't been dropped or smacked, that there haven't been any voltage surges or lighting strikes since before the problem started, and that it's unusual for a cable to spontaneously fail.

That leaves 2 options - the motherboard or the hard drive.

The next easiest, quickest fix is to replace the hard drive and reload Windows (and AOL :flowers: ) While you can replace the motherboard, this is a much more complicated job and we'd have to discuss some options before you commit to the project.

This will most likely (no guarantees here) fix the problem - but it'll cost some bucks for a new hard drive and some time to reinstall everything. If you do buy a new hard drive, make sure to get a cable with it - that way you'll be sure that you've got the right cable for drive (40 or 80 pin). Also, before committing to this we'll need more information on the Gateway system that you're working on.

While I was able to find basic information on the Gateway 300SE, I wasn't able to find the detailed specifications. Are there any other markings/numbers on the case that would give us a clue on what to look for? This will help us to give more informed advice on how to work with your system.

Edited by usasma, 20 January 2006 - 10:07 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users