Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inverter on a Dell Inspiron 1545

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rodax

Rodax

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

Well. I've run into a bit of a problem. Having a computer with a damaged screen, I figured there was no way to be able to see until Windows/Ubuntu loads. That's a problem when I want to install Windows 7 over Vista. I can't see at the boot screen. The only way I could is to have the BIOS default to the VGA external monitor. I looked it up and found out that I could take off the screen and if the computer doesn't detect a LCD screen, it should default to the only other choice, the VGA input. Unfortunately, I didn't know that taking off the inverter causes a system to stop working. The machine turns on for about 3 seconds, then dies. Upon attempting to replace it, I learned that the only part that connects to the actual motherboard is two black and white connectors that connect to the wireless card. This is only my second time messing with laptop hardware or computer hardware in general so... before I do any more damage, if I do connect the inverter up again and connect the two wires from the screen back into the WLAN card, would it still cease to register the LCD monitor as a displayable output?

Edited by Rodax, 29 August 2011 - 08:16 PM.

Mihi placet crustum. Because pie is so important and spiritually enlightening, that it must only be spoke of in Latin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

Hello rodax and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Just a general question before I go into any other advice or suggestions, have you considered replacing the inverter?

Is the option possible for you to do financially?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 29 August 2011 - 08:52 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Rodax

Rodax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:33 AM

Oh, there's nothing wrong with the inverter in the first place. The backlight would light up fine if there wasn't huge hole in the screen. I can still see a small edge of the screen lit up well. I just want to know if plugging the inverter back up would still produce the result of the BIOS defaulting to the external monitor if I don't plug up anything else.
Mihi placet crustum. Because pie is so important and spiritually enlightening, that it must only be spoke of in Latin.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:53 PM

Okay so I take it you are not interested in repairing this screen.

I personally am one of those people who does not like using any electronic devices that has electrical problems.

It is not unheard of for even 'battery' operated devices to over heat and start a fire.

But I will answer your question off the record, but you assume responsibility for the out-come.

I know that sounds absurd in a way, but I have been in the electronics repair field for over 38 years now and I even tinkered with electronics as a hobby when I was a young teenager, so believe me when I say using and operating faulty electronic devices can actually cause a fire, this can happen with battery operated devices as well.

As a professional, it is hard for me to recommend anyone to use faulty electronic equipment, so please understand where I am coming from here.

I do not recommend using the laptop in its current state, however, if you wish, you can reconnect the wiring if you so wish to do so.

If your screen is damaged, and you value this laptop, I would recommend locating another screen for this laptop and replacing your current one, then hook everything up as it is supposed to be.

You can look on line and do price comparisons to find a cheaply priced replacement, this will also allow you to take the laptop away from the house, which is what laptops are intended for.

If you were able to use the laptop with the two wires hooked up and using an external monitor, then please feel free to do so. I can not guarantee safety doing it this way however.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Rodax

Rodax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

I understand, but I'm not using the screen, really. That's why it was removed. But it might have to be halfway reconnected to get the result I want, which comes to my question, which still has not been answered.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

Okay sorry about that I thought I had answered your question, but I'll try answering it a different way.

Because I can not determine through the Internet just how extensive the damage to your screen is, I can only suggest you try and see if it works.

To my understanding you said it did work out the way you wanted it too. I realize you are only experiencing problems when the system is first booting up and it is defaulting to the screen built into the laptop until the BIOS switches the images to your external screen.

If you are comfortable using the laptop this way, then that is fine, but you would have to experiment and go with what works best for you.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users