Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer laptop : Operating system not found

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 LXative

LXative

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

Hey folks, thanks a ton in advance for any help or suggestions given. I guess my old account was deleted, but I previously joined/donated for some help received.

Regardless, I have a friends Acer laptop I am attempting to help her restore as usable.

Acer Aspire 6930
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5800 (2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache)
1244MB Mobile Graphics Accelerator 4500MHD
3 GB DDR2
320GB HDD
Windows Vista

When you boot it, it pretty much stays in the boot screen.....does no more. She got the computer from Best Buy, and they set up 3 recover disks. When you try to run the 1st of 3, I select the language....then a prompt comes up to ask me what I want to do. As you can see below, I cannot select "restore from backup".

Posted Image

I then click to "restore to default" and then I get this error message......

Posted Image

I searched the error message, and found others who've experienced the exact same issue. What they discovered is that the computer would not utilize the recovery disks if there was an existing partition. So the folks with the same problem as I, downloaded the Ultimate Boot Disk to recover their computers. When I do that, I got a message in BIOS saying "No operating system found".

Posted Image

This whole message....

Posted Image

I can follow directions very well, and I am a fairly familiar with computers....but not enough to solve this one. I appreciate anyones time thrown in to try and find a fix or a final resolution (if the HD is fubar).

Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

Can you download a Linux Live CD from http://www.ubuntu.com and burn it to a CD and see if it can read your disk drive.

#3 zordon

zordon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:48 AM

Before using the CDs, you should try the built-in recovery drive. First remove the CD from the computer. Restart the computer and on boot immediately start tapping F8. When you get the advance boot options menu, select "Repair your Computer". Wait until it loads, press next, login, and then at the bottom of the System Recovery Options there should be a Acer Recovery Management menu. From there you can run the factory reset without the CDs.

Edited by zordon, 30 August 2011 - 01:49 AM.

#4 LXative

LXative
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:30 AM

Can you download a Linux Live CD from http://www.ubuntu.com and burn it to a CD and see if it can read your disk drive.

I couldn't fit it on a CD I had, but put it on a thumbdrive......but no success. Would the thumb drive work just the same? It comes into BIOS with that "Operating system not found" error. It ttied to read the thumbdrive....

Before using the CDs, you should try the built-in recovery drive. First remove the CD from the computer. Restart the computer and on boot immediately start tapping F8. When you get the advance boot options menu, select "Repair your Computer". Wait until it loads, press next, login, and then at the bottom of the System Recovery Options there should be a Acer Recovery Management menu. From there you can run the factory reset without the CDs.

When in BIOS, I assume? I try hitting F8 there, and the "Operating System not found" message repeats itself.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:45 AM

Did you change the boot order in your BIOS to reflect the USB Devices?

#6 LXative

LXative
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:49 AM

Did you change the boot order in your BIOS to reflect the USB Devices?

Maybe I am misusing the word BIOS. The screenshot with the "Operating system not found" is the only screen I see, other than the boot screen. At the bottom of the boot screen, it says something like "Press F2 for setup", but when I do that......nothing happens.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:49 AM

try pressing Fn+F2

#8 LXative

LXative
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:05 AM

try pressing Fn+F2

Nothing at all...

EDIT - After about 20 seconds, it beeped and came up......

Edited by LXative, 30 August 2011 - 07:06 AM.

#9 LXative

LXative
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:58 AM

Ok, it did come up into the setup menu....like I edited above. I tried arrowing left/right, but it would only control the brightness of the screen. I hit F5 and the screen turned black. I rebooted, and now can't get back into setup.....still trying.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:19 AM

Consult your documentation on how to navigate the BIOS. Seems to me like you are pressing Fn+ the F key to brighten the monitor.

#11 LXative

LXative
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

What should I do if I am able to successfully navigate in that mode? Do the self repair?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

You should be able to navigate the BIOS with extreme ease.

#13 LXative

LXative
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

You should be able to navigate the BIOS with extreme ease.

Finally got it back into that mode. I can navigate it fine, so I assume I am changing the USB port to priority boot?

Edit

I changed the boot priority, and ended up on the same screen as "Operating system not found".......except the HD info isnt there, because I removed it from the boot list.

I didn't see any sort of Acer recovery in that screen either, as mentioned previously by someone else....

Edited by LXative, 30 August 2011 - 02:42 PM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:41 PM

Then the USB Drive is not bootable.

#15 LXative

LXative
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

Then the USB Drive is not bootable.

I take it I am screwed, unless I can get a large enough cap CD to hold the program you recommended?

I assume it needs to be unzipped on the CD, correct?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users