Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hardware Wizard Driver Installation Issues

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lapetite66

lapetite66

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

Hi:

I can't install the drivers for following; the Multimedia Audio Controll, Sm Bus Drivers and Video Controller.

Instead of saying no that I don't want to connect to the internet to find the drivers I said yes and the hardware wizard can't find the drivers because I assume that they aren't on the internet. The problem is that I can't get the hardware wizard back to stage one when it asks those three questions;

1. yes, connect only this time,
2. yes, connect whenever I want to install drivers
3. no, not at this time(which is the one according to a website that I found is the one I should have clicked).

Is there a way to reset things so that I get asked the questions again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

Hi lapetite66 -
Is this problem due to a reinstall of XP, or are you trying to add extra Audio Controll ?
If this is a new product / program, is it downloaded from the internet or loaded from a CD ?

Thank You -

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

Is there a way to reset things so that I get asked the questions again?

You need to uninstall it first or by updating your driver.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

Hi lapetite66 -
Is this problem due to a reinstall of XP, or are you trying to add extra Audio Controll ?
If this is a new product / program, is it downloaded from the internet or loaded from a CD ?

Thank You -

Hi noknojon:

Thanks for responding to my post. Yes, this is reformat of the harddrive using Windows XP Pro version 2002. Please don't get me started. It has been a TOTAL nightmare...with various files not installing during the setup process such as wzdgl.dll, xmllite.dll, wuweb.dll and my favorite, "Can't install from disc" fxclnt.

No, the OS isn't downloaded from the internet I own the disc. I should mention that it's a copy of the original(that I misplaced the original not the copy obviously). I used the copy with success the one other time I reformatted the drive. These problems are new because when I did it the last time it went off without a hitch.

The hardware that I am having a problem trying to install are ones that are installed with the OS. My problem is that I would like to have the three options I had at the beginning without having to reformat the bloody drive again.

Thanks,

#5 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:12 AM

This is the issue I am referring to.(See attachments)

Posted Image

Is there someway to reset this to the orginal three questions below?

1. yes, connect only this time,
2. yes, connect whenever I want to install drivers
3. no, not at this time(which is the one according to a website that I found is the one I should have clicked).

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:12 AM

Just click the Cancel button :).

You don't need to reset anything...you don't have to use the Hardware Wizard...you need to install the chipset driver, the audio driver, and the video driver for that system.

FWIW: Never answer YES to the option to let Windows search to install a driver. Just browse to the driver location or use the self-install feature that most drivers employ today.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2011 - 09:13 AM.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

Whats the make/model of the system?

You need to install the chipset drivers (thats the SM bus) and the display and sound drivers.
Its much easier to just download them from the manufacturers website. If the drivers are in a compressed archive the technique you are using will not find them.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

Just click the Cancel button :).

You don't need to reset anything...you don't have to use the Hardware Wizard...you need to install the chipset driver, the audio driver, and the video driver for that system.

FWIW: Never answer YES to the option to let Windows search to install a driver. Just browse to the driver location or use the self-install feature that most drivers employ today.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Hi Louis

How can I install the things you mentioned if I don't know what exactly I'm looking for and where to get it.

What driver location are you referring to? Huh? :wacko: If you are talking about a driver disc, there isn't one. The things shown in the "Device Manager" are things installed during the installation of the OS. I guess you would say "on board" hardware *shrugging shoulders*.

#9 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

Whats the make/model of the system?

You need to install the chipset drivers (thats the SM bus) and the display and sound drivers.
Its much easier to just download them from the manufacturers website. If the drivers are in a compressed archive the technique you are using will not find them.

Eyesee:

The make of the computer is a compaq as for the model I haven't a clue or how to find out.

Thanks,

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

If it is a Compaq the model number is on the system somewhere.
Is this a laptop or tower?

If this is a laptop the model number is on a sticker on the underside of the system.
If it is a tower the model number is on the system somewhere, sometimes on the front, sometimes on the back, but it is there.

Compaq made millions of differend models of computers. Without the model number there is literally no way to tell exactly what drivers you need that are specific to your system.

Edited by Eyesee, 31 August 2011 - 02:00 PM.

#11 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

If it is a Compaq the model number is on the system somewhere.
Is this a laptop or tower?

If this is a laptop the model number is on a sticker on the underside of the system.
If it is a tower the model number is on the system somewhere, sometimes on the front, sometimes on the back, but it is there.

Compaq made millions of differend models of computers. Without the model number there is literally no way to tell exactly what drivers you need that are specific to your system.

Hi Eyesee:

You're right there is a sticker on the computer. I never paid it any attention maybe that's because it not really my computer but my sister.*shrugging* Anyway, the information you requested is as follows:

Computer Type: Desktop
Compaq Presario #SR1620NX
Product Number: #EG733AA-ABA

Edited by lapetite66, 02 September 2011 - 04:35 PM.

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

Here you are

Look under Drivers - original & install the chipset first. Then get the graphics, audio, LAN and modem. You dont need the keyboard/mouse unless you want to use the buttons on the keyboard (assuming you still have the original one).

Should be a pretty straight forward installation.

Edit: The way I normally do this is to make a folder called hold on the hard drive. Then download the drivers & create a folder for each - chipset, video, audio etc. After the drivers are successfully installed burn them all to a cd in case you need them in the future.

Edited by Eyesee, 02 September 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#13 lapetite66

lapetite66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

Here you are

Look under Drivers - original & install the chipset first. Then get the graphics, audio, LAN and modem. You dont need the keyboard/mouse unless you want to use the buttons on the keyboard (assuming you still have the original one).

Should be a pretty straight forward installation.

Edit: The way I normally do this is to make a folder called hold on the hard drive. Then download the drivers & create a folder for each - chipset, video, audio etc. After the drivers are successfully installed burn them all to a cd in case you need them in the future.

Eyesee:

The funny thing is that once you told me about the sticker on the computer I did a web search for the make/model and actually found that Compaq/HP site you linked to.

I downloaded some stuff along with the documentation(I like to be organized and have info on my various software etc.). I waited to see what your advice ie solution was before trying to implement some of the drivers I downloaded the other day.

I downloaded the driver for the CD/DVDRW drive as there have been some issues there. I also downloaded the updates of the orginal drivers as from the documentation it said that was recommended.

Last but not least, I took your advice and made separate folders for each driver.

Thanks for all your help it was very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Edited by lapetite66, 03 September 2011 - 04:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users