Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regedit Error From IE8 Uninstall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cuistech

cuistech

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

Computer is running XP Pro, SP3. It came with IE8 installed on it. Every time I would log onto it, I would receive the error "Data Execution Prevention" and a note that windows had closed the program "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services."

I dug into the details of the error (since I can't close the window anyway - it creates some sort of loop that just keep reopening the error notice) and found that it was listed as the following: "Event Type: BEX P1: svchost.exe P2: 5.1.2600.5512" and so on. I went to view the technical information, which was listed in a temp directory as "svchost.exe.mdmp" and "appcompat.txt" but I can't read the mdmp file, and the appcompat file was listed in a folder that did not exist in the listed temp directory (the directory didn't exist, actually).

Event Viewer showed me a few more things, including a registry error. "Windows cannot query DIIN name resigtry entry for {7B849a69-220F-451E-B3FE-2CB811AF94AE} and {CF7639F3-ABA2-41DB-97F2-81E2C5DBFC5D}. The IE8 release notes tell me that I need to delete those two registry keys after uninstalling IE8 to remove the error.

I did.

The error still remains, even though those two reg keys are missing.

Here's the weirdest thing: No one else gets these errors. I have admin permissions on the network, and other users don't, though. That might be why they aren't getting the error. I can't nail down why I would still get the error message after deleting the keys, and my well of google-fu is running dry.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this after applying the fixes listed? I've been trying to run this down most of the day, and am finally admitting I've been stumped.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Is it every computer you login to on?

#3 cuistech

cuistech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

No. Just 2, maybe 3 at the most in the network. The computers that are giving me the errors still have IE8 on them, except for the one I uninstalled today: That one is still giving me errors after the uninstall of 8, and the removal of those two registry keys.

I wasn't going to try it on the other computers before I'd resolved this first one.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:51 PM

Is this a domain type settings?

#5 cuistech

cuistech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

Yes, we're using a domain.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

Could be following you via roaming profile.

#7 cuistech

cuistech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

Roaming profiles are not something we've brought online. It is a project one of my bosses is working on, but not implemented, last I heard.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

then you shouldnt be getting the regedit error on every machine you login to.

#9 cuistech

cuistech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:59 AM

It's not every machine. It's 3 machines on the network, and all three of them are on the same subnet in the domain system.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

Check to make sure that your profile is not roaming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users