Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touchpad failiure

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 boo-boo-79

boo-boo-79

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

Hi, I have a Samsung R60plus laptop running Windows Vista, the problem I am having is that when the charger is plugged in the touchpad (Synaptics touchpad V3.6) doesn't work.
If I unplug the charger it takes a while to come back to life but it does (after maybe 5-7 minutes) become fully functional again. Having said that there are times where I accidentally touch it and it will recognise my hand/finger and will react but that is rare.
Now at this point I must say that my computer is covered by insurance and the company have said they will take it and fix it but I really don't want to send it back unless I really really have to. When I first phoned them (not knowing at this point that it would work if I unplugged the charger) they tried talking me through some things and at first put it down to a driver issue, they got me to uninstall and reinstall drivers. When that didn't work they said it was a software issue (standard response from them in my experience) and that I needed to wipe it and start again.
Not satisfied with that as a response I decided I would take it back to the shop where I bought it and see if they could fix it, imagine how stupid I felt when he switched it on and said "Well I'm not sure what the issue is here, it all seems fine to me, what is the problem exactly?", so I came home feeling like a fraud, plugged it back in and immediately no touchpad again, I couldn't make sense of it all!
So I bagged it all back up and went back to the shop where he again said he couldn't see the problem, so I told him to plug in the charger and then he could see what I meant. He then said he couldn't fix it because it would need to be repaired in the factory because it needed to be done in a totally dust free environment... now with all the other issues I have ever had they have tried to insist on me letting them take devices away to be fixed when it was unnecessary I am sceptical to say the least, so what I really want or need to know is - is this a problem I can fix if I get the right help and advice from someone here? Do I need to take my laptop apart? And is it likely to do any other damage if it gets left in it's current state if I can't fix it here (with help and advice)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

My suspecions are that there is an internal problem with a circuit that is related to your power adapter and the touchpad.

Seriously if you have coverage on the parts and labor you are better off using that option.

Laptop computers are very complex unit to work on internally, there are parts that can brake accidently and are impossible for the average home user to repair. Trust me on that.

I suggest you send this unit out for repair to a qualified, certifided Samsung service center and let them deal with the headach.

I am sure that is not what you wanted to hear from me, but being a certified electronics repair tech, I know all to well what a nightmare working on and repairing the inards of a laptop computer can be, and I am experienced in this field.

So please take my advice.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 boo-boo-79

boo-boo-79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:11 PM

Hi Bruce, thanks for the welcome that was really nice to read! (I know I haven't been here much for a LONG time now but I had started to think nobody here wanted to talk to me any more as this is the 4th post I have written in the last year and the 3 before this one still didn't get any replies.)
I will take your advice. Thank you for giving it. I thought there was a chance I would have to send it in to get fixed but I wanted to be sure.
Can you just tell me though, being experienced as you are (as I'm really not) am I risking potential damage to anything else by leaving it and using a mouse instead? It has already been like it for a while and my computer is having other issues which I think are unrelated but I want to be sure I am not making things worse. I will send my laptop in but I had hoped to get my netbook useable first but if you say I need to send it sooner I will make the arrangements much sooner.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:35 PM

I am sorry to hear that your previous threads went ignored, perhaps no one knew an answer to your questions that does not mean anyone meant to ignore you intentionally.

It is certainly not correct for me speculate, since I can not test the laptop to see what might be subject to potential damage it is safer for me to say you could very well be causing more damage by continuing to use the laptop in its present state.

If you wish me to, I can point you to some web sites that feature laptop disassembly instructions so you have an idea what it involves.

When you say the laptop is having other issues what are those issues you speak of?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 boo-boo-79

boo-boo-79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

It is much slower than it was before the touchpad went, it will sometimes switch itself off 2 or 3 times in a row within say half an hour all on its own and the first time it did it I thought it might be updates installing but it wasn't and it has done it a few times now with no explanation why. It sometimes won't let me send to the printer even though it recognises the printer on my network. Sometimes it will act as if it is printing but then the printer window on my laptop will tell me it needs to close and it hasn't printed anything. It will freeze randomly and tell me it is not responding if I am online or just go to egg timer if I am using another program and then if I ask it to do anything I get the this program needs to close error message.
That is without the internet gaming issues I posted about. I have no idea if any of these things are connected to any of the other things I mentioned.
As for referring me to sites - thanks but I think you are right, the best thing is to let a professional look at it rather than take it apart myself as it sounds like it will be too complicated and really needs an expert.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:30 AM

Some of your issues could be contributed to several things.

I am not using my usual computer at the moment because I am currently converting IPhone videos to wma files of Hurricane Irene on my usual computer, so I am using one of my other 7 computers and I am not used to this keyboard, so excuse my typing errors.

Back to the topic.

Your laptop could be over heating and is due for internal cleaning maintenance.

Your file system could be very fragmented and in need of running disk defrag if you have not used it lately.

You may have a lot of bulk on the laptop running in the background, you should try running MSCONFIG at the RUN menu and see how many un-needed programs are under the STARTUP menu and uncheck those that are not critical for safe operation of your laptop.

You can start those manually when needed.

If you have a close to full hard drive that to will slow down your computer, remove un-needed programs and bloatware programs that are simply taking up needed space.

How much RAM do you have in the laptop? Adding more RAM will increase the speed of your laptop because when you run low on RAM your hard drive has to act as virtual memory and that is slower then actual RAM.

Have your processor checked for the condition of thermal paste when you send it out, new paste will make a big difference and its better to do it now, so you won't have to worry about it in the future.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 30 August 2011 - 12:35 AM.

#7 boo-boo-79

boo-boo-79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

Thanks Bruce, disk defragging gets done regularly but the other things you mentioned could contribute, though those things haven't/shouldn't have changed a great deal since before the touchpad failed, but I will try making those changes once I have got the hardware working at it's best (in other words repaired) and will mention the others to them when I arrange the collection of the laptop and make sure everything you have suggested gets done while they have it open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users