Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could Dell be making you buy their own battery?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Satman858

Satman858

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:02 PM

After 18 months of owning my Dell Vostro 1520 the battery is going bad. (which seems like the magic number for their batteries to go bad) So I ordered a off market battery for it as most people do because of the outrageous price dell wants to charge you for the original. Well when I installed it I got the "Warning: The Battery Could Not Be Identified..... The system will be unable to charge this battery" message many people have gotten with there Inspiron 1501 models. After that happened I put my old Dell battery that is going bad back in, and I do not get that message.

Could Dell be putting a program into their newer Dell laptops like my Vostro 1520, that will not allow off market batteries to work with their newer Dell laptops?

P.S. I read the thread in this forum about the "Warning: The Battery Could Not Be Identified..... The system will be unable to charge this battery" but none of the post there spoke of the problem only happening with off market batteries.

Edited by Satman858, 29 August 2011 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Satman858

Satman858
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

WOW! Sixty views of my post and nobody here knows the answer to my question. :o

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:30 PM

<<Could Dell be putting a program into their newer Dell laptops like my Vostro 1520, that will not allow off market batteries to work with their newer Dell laptops?>>

That doesn't look like a hardware question at all, IMO...looks more like a public opinion question.

But...I bet that you'll get more of a response at the Dell user forums...if you ask it there. They may not have an answer that makes sense, but I'm pretty sure that Dell users have opinions about such :).

Louis

#4 Satman858

Satman858
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

<<Could Dell be putting a program into their newer Dell laptops like my Vostro 1520, that will not allow off market batteries to work with their newer Dell laptops?>>

That doesn't look like a hardware question at all, IMO...looks more like a public opinion question.

But...I bet that you'll get more of a response at the Dell user forums...if you ask it there. They may not have an answer that makes sense, but I'm pretty sure that Dell users have opinions about such :).

Louis

Can you please link me to Dell users forum? I can not find it anywhere in this site.

At Dells website they delete any post about off market batteries.

Edited by Satman858, 30 August 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

Can do :).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/default.aspx

http://en.community.dell.com/

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 August 2011 - 02:21 PM.

#6 Satman858

Satman858
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

Can do :).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/default.aspx

http://en.community.dell.com/

Louis

Louis,

I guess you didn't read my post completely, as Dell's website is no help at all.

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:06 PM

Louis,

I guess you didn't read my post completely, as Dell's website is no help at all.

Have you use Search on Dell Forum?
On another type of Vostro there have this bug too and Dell have release a BIOS update to fix it. But on your Vostro type Dell doesn't release a BIOS update and I think Dell doesn't know about this bug happens on your Vostro type. I think it's better you open a topic on there so Dell could know that bug happens on that Vostro type and hope Dell release a BIOS update to yout Vostro type.

Honestly. To me it's better to not leaving any reply to a topic that I couldn't find solution to problem and I believe lots of BC member that same with me. That's why there was lots of view and no reply at all.
A couple of days ago I have looking solution for your problem and found that on another type of Vostro. Dell has release a BIOS update to fix this but on your Vostro type Dell not release it.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#8 Satman858

Satman858
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:55 PM

Louis,

Have you use Search on Dell Forum?
On another type of Vostro there have this bug too and Dell have release a BIOS update to fix it. But on your Vostro type Dell doesn't release a BIOS update and I think Dell doesn't know about this bug happens on your Vostro type. I think it's better you open a topic on there so Dell could know that bug happens on that Vostro type and hope Dell release a BIOS update to yout Vostro type.

Honestly. To me it's better to not leaving any reply to a topic that I couldn't find solution to problem and I believe lots of BC member that same with me. That's why there was lots of view and no reply at all.
A couple of days ago I have looking solution for your problem and found that on another type of Vostro. Dell has release a BIOS update to fix this but on your Vostro type Dell not release it.

Thank you I will try that. I have however tried leaving a review on that same dell website, and my review has not been posted in over a week. :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users