Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

10 Things to do after installing Ubuntu.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

A lot of these are so true in my case, I thought others might recognise themselves too Posted Image

Enjoy Posted Image

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/u...en-things.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

After reading the Dodoimedo article at the URL, http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-ten-things.html, all I am able to say is,
What a load of crap!
No wonder n00bs don't bother learning the command line and are happy, compliant, MS-Trained Brain automatons! They think they can just install and go, like most women in a car.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#3 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

good article tks for sharing
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#4 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

"There's nothing you need TO DO after installing a new Linux distribution. Ubuntu, as well as many of its counterparts, offer a complete common experience, with a very decent set of programs, tools, drivers, and aesthetics. In recent Ubuntu versions, you get to install codecs and updates while installing, so there's even less fuss. A handful of useful applications has been removed from the default installation, like GIMP, but then, it's not meant for everyone out there. Regressions must never happen, but then again, this applies to every distro out there."

This is what I mean.
apt-get remove --purge brasero
for just one!
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#5 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

Didn't the OP and Dedoimedo make clear that it was humourous? I read the article a few days ago, admittedly it didn't leave me needing ribs replacing, but it was supposed to be a joke. No need to get all defensive.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#6 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

Didn't the OP and Dedoimedo make clear that it was humourous? I read the article a few days ago, admittedly it didn't leave me needing ribs replacing, but it was supposed to be a joke. No need to get all defensive.

Satire is a lost art. Apparently, the author could have used some tips from the likes of Jonathan Swift, Ring Lardner and others.

I had just finished reading this and found it disturbing -- so I probably overreacted -- c'est la vie!

Edited by pane-free, 29 August 2011 - 10:06 PM.

W. C. Fields

#7 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

I assume it was Dedoimedos' take on this, I didn't really see the need, most of the articles on that site are comedy in their own right.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#8 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:30 AM

... and for my next non-controversial posting ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users