Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Will Not Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 clear asmud

clear asmud

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:49 AM

Hi there,

I have just acquired an Acer Aspire 1300 laptop with Athlon XP chip but each time I try to boot up the Windows XP the machine just goes into a loop. It attempts to open XP then reverts to the Acer aspire screen with three options,

press Esc to change boot order

Press F2 to enter setup

or F12 to boot from LAN

It will NOT start in safe mode and I feel I need to try something in DOs mode to rectify this problem.

Can anyone out please advise?

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:31 PM

Have you gone into setup? It sounds like it is not finding something that it thinks it should have. Check your boot order, ram and hard drive settings.

Also if you have a windows xp disk, you can boot from cd and try recovery console or repair, but it sounds like it is not even starting to load windows so that is almost certainly either a bios problem or a hard problem. For good or ill, here is no dos in xp.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:51 PM

Could you describe the screen where you say it attempts to get into XP?

Have you tried pressing "Esc" to change the boot order? If so, what happened? It's possible that your BIOS needs to be re-told which drive is the boot drive.

Have you tried entering Setup and restoring the BIOS to default values (also referred to as Safe settings)?

Can you contact the person you got it from and ask them about it?

Can you insert the XP cd in the CD drive and boot from it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 clear asmud

clear asmud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:28 PM

John in answer to your questions:

Initially whenever the laptop is switched on/ powered up it makes a weak attempt to starting Windows SAP Home edition and then quickly reverts to a logo screen of Acer Aspire (The make and model) and then it goes through a loop of repeating this process.

It does allow to hit the Esc key and change the boot up setup, which I have tried and inserted the Windows SAP Home CAD boot up disk.

It goes through a process of checking various files and the settles down to a blue screen with the Welcome to Setup for Windows SAP Home Edition, where I have three options:

1. To set up Windows SAP now, press ENTER
2. To repair a Windows SAP installation using Recovery Console, press R
3. To quit Setup without installing Windows SAP, press F3.

I have tried firstly the repair option which throws up a black DOS screen showing

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto (To cancel, press ENTER)?

At this point I select 1 and enter.

This produces Type the Administrator password: which I leave blank because I don't think a password was ever set up for Administrator rights.
This then just brings me back to the C:\WINDOWS> prompt.

Is this info in anyway helpful?

Regards

Brian

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:02 PM

When the option comes up to press F2 to enter setup select it. Inside you BIOS you will have a boot order. Look to see if you have a "bot from network" setting. It may be called PXE. If it is present disable it. Save and exit. Remove the XP CD and restart.
If that did not work, boot with the XP CD. Enter the Repair Console. At the C:\ (or C:\WINDOWS) enter sfc /scannow. Make sure you have the space between the sfc and /scannow.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Kruncher

Kruncher

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:24 PM

Since you are able to get to the Recovery Console try running chkdsk /R /P, but beware: this will take a very _long_ time. Hopefully that will repair some errors in your hard disk and will allow you to boot.

If that doesn't work it might be time for a Repair Install.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:29 AM

Acer has a Recovery feature that restores the laptop to its factory specs. Since this is a new computer (at least to you) why not use that? See How do I restore the factory software on the Aspire 1300 notebook?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 clear asmud

clear asmud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:47 PM

Thanks people but still no joy.

Acklan could NOT run your suggestion.

Kruncher yes I was able to do the CHKDSK /R/P but laptop is still going through a loop process on trying to boot up. So how to I go about doing a Repair Install?

Leurgy I am just about to check out your suggestion.

All suggestions welcome.

regards

Brian

#9 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:26 PM

When you boot from windows cd answer no when it asks if you want to run recovery console. The next screen will offer choice of install windows xp or repair current installation. Choose repair and see what happens.

#10 clear asmud

clear asmud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:04 PM

franktii

My latest situition is this Windows XP is booting up to the point where it shows my son Chris and Chrissy as set up users as it was before this problem started but on selecting either user it then brings up a WINDOWS PRODUCT ACTIVATION message, stating that This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on and the option of clicking on a Tes or No button. On clicking on either it just brings me to the LOGO screen for the Laptop namely ACER Aspire 1300.

I can now also boot up in Safe mode but unsure of what I can do to in Safe mode to get by above message.

Any ideas

regards

Brian

#11 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:21 PM

Hmm, did you acquire this computer new or used? Has it been just over 30 days? Could Windows XP not be activated? That might account for your problems.

#12 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

Ff you get as far as Safe Mode, why not do a System Restore to before you had the problem?

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:16 PM

When it says activation is required does it allow you to enter the product key?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users