Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd startup problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 freedie

freedie

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:03 AM

Help need please.
MSWinXPHome+SP3 on Pentium4 3.4Ghz (2GB ram).
About a month ago (it may have started earler, as I am not always sitting by my PC on boot up) I found that on boot up I would try to open Internet Explorer and it would take 3 minutes to load up and then all would run normally thereafter. This happens every time I boot up my PC. Other programs are affected yet strangely many are not e.g. I sometimes sit in front of my PC playing Freecell (which opens as fast as it ever did) until IE8 appears.
I feel certain that this is an easy problem for someone and that there is no malware involved. Until this problem appeared my PC has run very quickly indeed I am delighted to say. It still does too after this initial odd blip.
I would be most grateful for comments or help please. I just know it is is something I must have changed (oh clever me) but I do not know what or how to fix it.
Thank you in advance.
Tell me what you need to see and I will provide same immediately.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

Hi freedie,

Firstly have you got a system restore point from before the problem arose you could try? If not, here are some basic straight forward easy to follow stuff that I would advise you to try first to help speed up your PC before moving on to more advanced stuff.

1) Ensure hard drive space is not approaching limit (right click C: and check pie chart)

2) Run Virus\spyware scan

3) Run disc clean up. (start\programs\accessories\system tools\disc clean up, use the more options tab also to delete all but the most recent restore points.

4) Uninstall any unused programs in add and remove programs (especially toolbars), donít uninstall anything you do not recognise without googling it first as you could end up uninstalling an important driver etc.

5) Run defrag when all above is done (start\programs\accessories\system tools\disk defragmenter). This can take a long time to complete if your drive is badly fragmented, so run this when you do not need to use your PC.

6) More memory is always a good way to speed your computer up.

jodav :)

#3 freedie

freedie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

Hi jodav! Thank you for replying.
Unfortunately I am now well past the point of system recovery, although I did try it after installing a new logitech driver about 3 weeks ago. Made no difference unfortunately.
All the other points I do religously (sad maybe; good though, I hope!).
I have to assume that something is trying, even succeeding, in loading (I get no message[s] to say anything is amiss or missing) and when all that is over, everything then starts together completely as normal as I remember it. I know I could have more memory; but all was well beforehand and is still well after "the blip".
More ideas welcome; or I can supply more information if requested.
Thanks again for your prompt assistance.

#4 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:07 AM

Hi freedie,

There are a number of things that I would try next,

1) Run Windows Update.
2) Boot in to safe mode with networking and see if Internet Explorer opens up normaly or not.
3) Install another browser like Google Chrome or Firefox to see how they behave (to see if it is an Internet Explorer fault).
4) Go to START-RUN-MSCONFIG and select the start up tab and see what is auto starting up at boot up, try deselecting one at a time after googling what they are if you are not sure to see if one is interfering or not, not forgetting to re-enable if no difference.

Depending on the results will depend on your next step\s and if you would need to post in the malware section or not.

Edited by jodav, 29 August 2011 - 10:08 AM.

#5 freedie

freedie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Thank you again jodav!
I am going through your new list one by one. May take some time to report back on everything.

#6 freedie

freedie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:46 AM

OK jodav! Here we go...
Windows update run. No critical updates (as I am on auto updates). Did update .NET 4 as suggested (by MS, I mean!)
Safe mode. Bingo! IE8 started immediately I clicked.
Already had Firefox installed (updated recently... hmmm?). Same problem. Started same time as IE8 (i.e. quick in Safe Mode; just as slow and at same time when running normally.)
I have only got three items ticked in msconfig startup. Comodo firewall, Avast! Antivirus and the Logitech mouse driver. I was loathe to even start without any of those. Perhaps I should try? What do you suggest?
IO still cannot believe that it is malware though (despite the "sites" I visit... hehe!). I do run Malwarebytes Antimalware every 2 or 3 days though. Never finds anything.
I look forward to more help from you. I do appreciate it. Please remember this is NOT what I would call URGENT as I only have to boot, make a coffee and all is normal. However there is always the thought that something more sinister is going on somewhere?

#7 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

Hi freedie :)

Yes I would suggest unticking them one at a time, you need to eliminate as much as possible. It does sound to me that something is loading at start up which is causing the delay which is not loading in safe mode, but problem solving is all about keeping an open mind and elimination. If you are happy that the programs in add and remove programs are OK, and yor hard drive is not full or fragmented, and that the three things mentioned have no effect in MSCONFIG start up tab when you try them. Then I would,

a) Check Device Manager is clean with no exclamation marks etc. If it is not, then update the apropriate hardwares driver.
B ) Post in the malware section to get the machine checked out.

If I have any more ideas I will let you know freedie.

Edited by jodav, 29 August 2011 - 12:58 PM.

#8 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

When in doubt, go to the source. Maybe the info at Microsoft Support for Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer will be of some help.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#9 freedie

freedie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:23 AM

Many thanks jodav. All sorted.

No nasties in Device Manager I am delighted to report.

As I couldn't bear to run with networking and without antivirus or firewall I chose to lose the Logitech mice and keyboard controller. Bingo! No startup problems. Reran with Logitech Setpoint instead of khalmnpr.exe whatever that was(?). It was always picked up as the Logitech mouse controller by everything I have ever used to examine my startup entries and has been there for yonks. Why it suddenly decide to act awry about 5 weeks ago I might never know.

So thanks again jodav. I hope I never need to speak to you again, if you get my drift!

PS Well done BC!

#10 jodav

jodav

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:18 AM

Hi freedie :)

Your more than welcome and I was pleased to help you :)
It was nice of you to update me.
BC will always be here for any future problems you may have.

I would never of have you run your machine without a firewall or AV by the way, just trying to ID root cause for investigation.

Good luck freedie,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users