Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Application Issue

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

I'm having issues running Roxio Creator 11 Pro. The problem began when I did a reformat of my system drive. Nothing is new, really, just a fresh installation of Windows 7 Ultimate, and reinstalling applications. This is a registered version of the application, unfortunately, Roxio support cannot seem to figure this out, either.

When I start the program, the Roxio logo appears on the screen for a few seconds, then I get the message that Roxio has encountered an error and will now shut down. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program several times, and I cannot understand why this is happening? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgw)

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2011 - 11:42 AM.
Moved to Win 7 from All Other Apps.

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:09 AM

Have you tried the Roxio Support Forums.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/forum/260-creator-2011/

You can browse there, or sign in and post the problem, if you don't get an answer here.

The pinned topic may help:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/71615-installing-roxio-creator-2011-pro-on-w-7-ultimate-x-64/

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:30 PM

Wow...

Thanks for the info. I've used Roxio since version 7.0, I think, and I've never had this come up. In fact, it didn't come up on my first installation under Windows 7. After I did a drive wipe, format, and reinstalled Windows 7, the problem with Roxio suddenly came up. It seems like an awful lot of fiddling around to do to get it to install...

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:07 AM

Wow, indeed!

I've used Roxio EMC7.5 Supersonic and Roxio 9 for 6 years. I got the latter when EMC7.5 wouldn't work properly with
Internet Explorer 7 and WMP 11.

Had many problems getting 7.5 re-installed, not so much with version 9.

What worked was cleaning up thoroughly after uninstalling, before a fresh install was attempted.

This meant getting rid of all Roxio and Sonic folders and their entries in the registry,
but you have to be careful if you have other Sonic products, I didn't.

I also copied the program disks to a new folder on my hard drive and ran install.exe rather than setup.exe.

But, I am running XP Home, SP3; cannot comment on Windows 7, nor on your current Version 11.

Roxio 9 was a nuisance to uninstall, having about 14 separate applications to deal with.
I hope your version 11 uninstall is simpler.

btw, if you have any Nero burning software, Roxio has been known to conflict.

From your post #1:

'Roxio support cannot seem to figure this out, either.'

That warrants a huge LOL; you'll get more sense out of and help from the Roxio Forum members.

Good luck.

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:34 AM

Oh, my...

After reading that post, I think it might be time for me to change software companies. I've always liked the way Roxio works, and loved the interface - especially with v.11. But this is just crazy. I get the logic of an uninstaller, including Windows Add/Remove Programs, leaving behind traces of itself for future installs, or to help prevent piracy, but this is ridiculous.

This is just my silly little opinion, but I feel like, if I tell an application to remove itself from my computer, it should remove itself completely from my computer. But then, Symantec and AOL were pretty instrumental in helping to develop "unremovable software," and it seems to be turning into some kind of trend...

The compatibility issue with Nero is also worth a lol, since in one of the earlier versions, the Roxio software told me that I'll "need to have burning software, such as Nero Burning ROM" in order for the program to function fully.

As for the LOL... Well, yeah, I guess you're right there. Seems to be the norm - once the product is purchased, ignore the purchaser. I have a friend who does professional DJ work, and she uses a program that has had compatibility issues with USB microphones for at least four years, according to the support forum. The company that developed the software simply refuses to address the issue. Just a shining example of capitalism at work, I suppose...

Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to scrap Roxio - I wonder if I can transfer my license to someone else?? LMAO...

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have for something similar or comparable to Roxio...

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

For an all-in-one program, I can't think of anything with which I would replace it.

Persevere with the install - you know it makes sense. :)

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

Well, for the moment, I'm not going to do anything. I'm putting this post here, because I'm wondering if this may be an issue with Windows, rather than with Roxio.

In the past, I've used and really liked a program called Free Studio, a freeware app from DVDVideoSoft. It's a great application. At any rate, it was another app that I needed to reinstall, so I did that this morning. And guess what? All eight apps contained in the program give me, "[Program] has encountered an error and will now close." I've submitted a request for support from the web site, but no word back yet - I don't expect anything for a couple of days, anyway.

Any idea what might be causing this with apps that I once used a lot, and now won't function on the same machine, with the same OS?

Edited by MelissaPleases, 04 September 2011 - 10:30 AM.

#8 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:25 AM

Maybe it is a Win7 problem - any clues in Event Viewer?

(Click the Start button, in the Search box, type Event Viewer, and then, in the list of results, double-click Event Viewer).

Also see this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Check-for-solutions-to-software-problems

"To check for solutions to problems at any time

1. Open Action Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, and then, under System and Security,
clicking Review your computer's status.

2. Click Maintenance.

3. Under Check for solutions to problem reports, click Check for solutions.
Windows will notify you if there are any solutions to problems available for your computer."

Perhaps a post in the Windows 7 Forum may be helpful.

#9 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:26 AM

This is an interesting message, when trying to look at Event Viewer:

Posted Image

Edit To Add: Should this topic perhaps be moved somewhere else, since it seems to be much more than a simple Roxio conflict?

Edited by MelissaPleases, 13 September 2011 - 07:10 AM.

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

PM a Moderator. May be more suited for Win 7 Forum.

I'm new to Win 7 and don't have daily access to it, so I have to bow out.

#11 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:11 PM

Okay, it seems this topic was moved to a more appropriate area...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#12 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:08 AM

A small update:

When I recently reinstalled Windows, I never installed Java - it was one of those little things I just overlooked. I cam across an application today that requires Java to run, so I went and downloaded the installer, and ran it.

My system would not restart.

The only way to get back running was to do a system restore to the point just prior to installing Java.

This is beginning to irritate me to no end...

#13 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 01:31 AM

Hmmm... No one?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

<<The problem began when I did a reformat of my system drive.>>

Well...just why did you reformat? What triggered that?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users